I have to share with you today a series of art books that I've been remiss in not having shared before. In fact, I would hazard to say that I'm sure the main reason you visit my humble little web journal is specifically to read information about this art book series, and you've had to wait all this time for me to bring it up.
So, with no further ado, here it is:

Spectrum. The series of The Best In Contemporary Fantastic Art, issued yearly. Hundreds of book cover art, magazine art, sculptures and paintings by the best artists of the fantastic. Gorgeous. Even if you don't do art, you should ask for one of these for the holidays!
Trust me! I'm not a doctor!!
((Intermission))
Now, if I've taught you anything, I've taught you to start every morning with this, to get a sense of what you should be thinking about. And now that I've thought about it for 4 minutes, I've decided to go ahead and share the story of where in the world I'm from.
I'm from Kansas City, MO.
The End.
I don't have very many memories of childhood, and those I have are not very vibrant. But I do remember that the transition from Kansas City, MO, to Santa Monica, CA, was not the culture shock everyone imagines it would be. For some reason, I imagined that everything was bright and clean and new in California. And I did eagerly anticipate seeing the ocean for the first time, and going to Disneyland. But the reality is that, even in the mid-Seventies, major metropolitan areas were basically the same. Busy, noisy, filled with entertainment options, and pollution. I was surprised, really. I don't know what I expected, but I expected something really different. I was fifteen, and I thought everything would change when I got here. Life would be faster and people would be happier and there wouldn't be as many messy places. In fact, I was so naive that, one of the major memories I have is of being surprised that the same songs were being played on the radio and the same shows were on television. I don't know why I thought they'd have different songs and different television and different movies. But I was fifteen. What did I know? Like Missouri, California was playing Maggie May, and showing All In the Family.
What, couldn't California come up with its own stuff?
I loved California, though. I loved that it was not humid in May. I loved it that I didn't have to scrape ice off the windshield or slip and fall on my butt when I walked to school. I loved it that everyone looked to California for what was cool. Even if, contrary to what California thought, there was the same cool going on in Kansas City. The world was already a very small place, even in 1972. But I do remember thinking how much cooler the hippies were, here. I guess one thing Kansas City didn't have much of was hippies. A few. But they were an anomaly. Here, they were everywhere. It was super groovy.
One thing that really sent me back to the time when I was a teenager in Los Angeles, was the Gypsy Bonfire story now posted over on Lisa Hoffman's site. Even if my life wasn't much like the author's, she certainly inspired fond memories.
Next up: Chris writes a blog post longer than Lord of the Rings, gets published, goes on a tour of New Zealand, and is rightfully imprisoned for plagiarism.
12 comments:
Phew! What a great post! You cover all bases here with something for everyone. Loved reading your history and observations of moving to California. I think I would have thought the same things....being a mid-western girl myself. I always imagined CA to be the weather heaven where your nose hairs never froze with every breath in the winter, causing tears to come to your eyes. Thanks for the tip on the book, looks really juicy. And thanks for sharing your worldly location with the S.T. Now come sign the guestbook! Your gift of writing is such a pleasure to read (and by that I mean you not not make me smile you make me crack up!) :)
Yes, come tour New Zealand. Yes yes yes. Great post, thanks for the interesting read.
Just loved reading your blog entry! As Michelle said, you have a wonderful gift of writing!
You girls are so lucky.... I have been to a number of places in the US and they are all so different... it is like visiting different countries! Also, the different accents, it is just amazing!
Hey Chris! I can completely relate to your thoughts about CA and expecting something different! I lived there too for a while in the early 90's and it was not what I expected either! As usual, you crack me up! I didn't realize you had a blog so now I will be back...Smiles!
Oh! This is such a great post. You are a skilled writer. I had to check out the links to the other blogs. You are feeding my techno-wanderlust addiction. Keep writing and keep adding links!
Oh, Chris,
Yes, I kept reading all the way to the end -- because your writing is so great! I love your way with words. Being from the east coast, California is on the other side of the world - one of those fantasy places like New Zealand VBG.
Hugs to you. Ariel
It's impossible not to read you. You're THAT good! Love you, e
Chris,
I am delighted to have found your site. This is a post that I can say illustrates the pure joy of blogland....funny, authentic, revealing, sharing.....with regard to the homogenazation of America, you were not naive, merely hopeful, I can not enter a mall, as they all have identical stores and food courts etc...I am in danger of forgetting what city or state I am in. My dad and stepmother were two of those hippies living in Venice, Cal. This is likely what led me to becoming a lawyer. Thankfully, the law is no longer my home. Art and writing are where I reside. Trying to get my nine year old to reread Harriete the Spy with me but she has no interest. Thank you for a thought provoking post and blog...I am adding you to my blogroll. jodi barone
haha, I've lived in saratoga, ca almost a year, so can relate. nice time, but nothing's better than good ol europe! :)
As Arhnold would say, I'll be bahck!
Nice post.
Omigosh, I haven't laughed so hard in so long! Your blog is a riot! I will be coming back for more laughs....thanks so much!
Thanks for the journey - I enjoyed it immensely especially since I'm originally from Southern California. I love Santa Monica even though I never made it past the "Orange Curtain" until I was in my early 20's
My dad grew up in that area and hung out at 'Muscle Beach' in the 30's. I'm thankful that he was an amateur photographer as well since I now have his amazing photos from that era.
Post a Comment