June 27, 2008

Heaven In A Biscuit!

It's ME !!


I'm back.

As you know, I've been taking a break. I made like it was necessary from sheer exhaustion, but really, my doctor advised me that my constant exposure to acrylic paint and wood pulp was contributing to other people's inability to get a restful sleep. He submitted this as exhibit one:





I'd forgotten about this one, but I must say: he has a point.

Against his wisdom, I recently went ahead and made an altered cigar box. Now, don't everyone crowd around at once.
Here it is:






It wasn't easy. Last weekend I had to smoke the last three cigars in one afternoon, in order to finish the box in time for this post. But you can see that the quality of my efforts has improved. Who wouldn't want to use this as a recepticle for precious things? Your retainer, for example? Gasoline receipts? Those spring-y snake things that pop out and scare people?
Cigars?


This blog will undergo a metamorphosis of sorts. My reader knows, from my previous blogs, that I can only go so long before putting on a new hat. In this instance, for one thing: there will be more ranting. There will be pontificating and questions. Some posts won't even be about my art-making. And I'm hoping to have a questionnaire or two, so I can find out what my two readers think of topics of the day, social and political issues.

Here's what I'm thinking about right now: We got a new dishwasher today. And the guy who came in to install it was a regular dishwasher-installer-guy. I mean, that's what he does. He installs appliances. And he comes in, and while he's installing this thing he says, 'So, who do you think is going to be our next president?'

Now, what kind of appliance installer comes in and starts chatting you up about politics? He's representing his corporate lords, isn't he? What if he was a clod, and really believed McCain is a serious option? That could have turned us right off, and caused one of us to get in a snit. So, it's a good thing the dishwasher tested okay right away, because over time, given this guy's wont for sensitive discourse, the conversation would have taken an inevitable slide to finding out which religious holidays we celebrate, how many sharpies we've 'borrowed' from work, and have we ever considered the benefits of installing a second shower head?

These are the kinds of things I like to ask you two: What do you think makes people do stuff? Are they clueless, or are they trying to irritate me? Let's have a pow-wow.

So there'll be a bit more of that, along with my characteristic ranting, which has been kept to a minimum up until now. Some Poll-taking. A call to conference, as it were. I hope you enjoy any changes as they develop. And I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Unless I don't like them. Then it's back to all me.


8 comments:

girlgonethreadwild said...

YAY!

I had wondered..

I had hoped!

PRAYED even...

and she's BACK from outerspace with that mad look upon her face...GONE!

Happy to see you SMILING.

Now it's my turn, SUMMER BREAK next week babee!

Bring it on!

xo, Monica :)

p.s. stop by, let's dance!

Anonymous said...

What do you think makes people do stuff? Are they clueless, or are they trying to irritate me?

No, they're definitely trying to irritate you, but the one consolation we may take from this is that at least they have to take time out from irritating ME to do it.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to tell me your installer asked you for some sort of installer type tool which he forgot (in his hungover state) to bring with him. That's the sort of question I get. Just yesterday, our tile guy asks me if I have an industrial type, heavy-duty staple gun (which I do -- sort of) and later requests a ShopVac (for crying out loud)! I would gladly welcome some political banter. Oh yeah, glad you're back. Love U! Emmy

Anonymous said...

Just when I'd gotten over the d-t's, now I up 'n get hooked all over again.

Thanks!

MBW

Anonymous said...

I am totally trying to irritate you!!
nice box, by the way ;)

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Welcome back!! Looove the cigar box!!! And the smell!!! ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.