As chronicled in my previous post, I was lucky enough to be invited to learn how to paint eggs the Ukrainian way. My dentist and I were talking about crafting, and she offered to teach me a craft I've been wanting to learn for awhile, now. I mean, look at these fabulous things!

For a really informative and beautiful discussion about painted eggs, visit this post by Pam Harris of the always-rewarding holiday craft site Gingerbread Snowflakes. With that as my introduction, I had a wonderful time. Here are some photos of yesterday's class!
Our host provided us a lovely array of snacks, including homemade Ukrainian bread, which she is slicing, here.
These are the jars of dye, and the spiked tray used to catch the melted wax in the final step.
A plethora of painted eggs from years past. She also offered numerous books about egg painting.
First, we draw the guidelines for a traditional Ukrainian design. On one of the plates is a tealight candle for heating the bowl of the tistka, which transfers the lines of wax to the eggs. The wax resists the dyes in successive steps in creating the design. The first lines of wax will resist the first yellow color, leaving the original white of the egg in those lines when the wax is removed.
This is my egg after the orange dye. More lines of wax have been applied to save not only the original white eggshell lines, but the yellow dye of the previous step.
My egg after the red dye. This red dye will be the color on the star, so we apply wax to fill in the points and resist the final dye, the black.
My egg after the black dye. The star has wax applied to it. Some of the wax is thin enough that the red shows through, but it has still resisted the black dye. Now that the last dye has been applied, all the applications of wax is melted off in the toaster oven.
My egg goes into its final Olympic maneuver.
Here is another student's egg, after having been in the oven, and having the melted wax partially rubbed off with a towel. The red color, as well as the whites and yellows, comes out vibrantly against the black.Next up: Chris asks her podiatrist what he makes in his crafting studio.
19 comments:
Very cool indeed. I wonder what my dentist can do? (other than contrive big bills)
It would have been much more appropriate to work on eggs with your gynecologist, but this is GORGEOUS.
What a beautiful process. And thank you for sharing your egg in person last night :-)
AWESOME!!!
I bet your orthopedist does great stuff for Day of the Dead!
Erin
Cool! That's beautiful. And what a great relationship you have with your dentist!
Wow Chris! I love this! I'm going to start quizzing my doctors on their crafty ways.
How cool is that!!!
Oh, your egg is beautiful! How exciting that you got to learn this process! roxanne
Here I am!! Here I am!!
http://linda-fromthefoothills.blogspot.com/
I LOVE your eggs!!!!!!!! The Polish do it almost the same: called something like pysanki. My kids and I use to wax and die DUCK EGGS!!! Gi-normous!! I think one came with me from VT to CA 11 years ago!!
xoL
These are gorgeous. And it looks like fun too!
who else but you would be waxing poetic w/your dentist? :)
another lovely episode in the unfolding journey of your crafty life. always a joy to beholf! thanks for sharing :)
s
Wow! You and I are truly soulmates, my dear. When people ask me what kind of art I make, my personal tagline is now "I haven't yet met a craft I didn't like." People who don't understand laugh, and people who do just nod their heads. And here you are, living the dream! I love your egg, including the wavy lines. These are really fun. How do you plan to display it?
WOW! I never thought to talk to my doctors about art...
That is your first egg?!? You're a natural :-)
Great post! Loved how you showed the steps from yellow to black. Diane and I actually took a class a couple years ago. The tools, dyes and instructions are all sitting tucked away in my craft cabinet. You have inspired me to get them out and try making more!
Diane and I have wavy lines on ours too - but you know what? If we look at our eggs from a great distance, the wavy lines disappear and our eggs looks quite professional! Try it! It works!
This is so cool. Thank you for sharing this day and experience with this artform. I have always admired the detail and beautiful work down by these amazing artists, but was clueless of how they achieved the final version.
this is lovely! thanks for sharing the steps, it makes you appreciate it even more by seeing the work that went in to it.
shona
This is so funny! I just "met" you in Sister Diane's free class today. So, I thought I would look up your blog. Here you have a very recent blog on Pysanky. If you were to go to my blog today, you would see that I just posted about pysanky yesterday! We had so much fun making our eggs that we are getting together again this weekend to do it. It is such a small world sometimes. I love that you did this with your dentist...;)
Rebecca of the R&W Gals
Aaak! We are playing around with Pysanky eggs lately. It is so hard but sooooo much fun! Your first one turned out lovely. Really after trying this myself, I have a new respect for those amazing artisians that make them well!!
Anjeanette
Post a Comment