May 14, 2010

Into the Madness

Howdy, my sweet reader! Whaddup?!

Full disclosure: I've had coffee.

This week or so since returning from Maui has been a bit challenging with health issues, but I am not going to belabor that point (although I really want to). I have decided, instead, to bring to you some news in my continuing arty saga, because I'm a giver.

Firstly, as you may or may not know (and there will be a test), I have begun to paint more. I've been wanting to use paint as my main element, rather than to use decorative papers or ephemera for my backgrounds, and to use original images for my focal points on those backgrounds.

HA! Quite an ambition for someone who enjoys watching successive reruns of Dark Shadows while eating processed foods with fresh fruit salsas! However, this goal CAN and WILL be achieved. I will paint my backgrounds and use my own drawings. So, there. Probably.

Let me remind you of a canvas I recently painted. (alert: this may be on the test)

I was particularly proud of this painting because I drew the imagery. Granted, I did not create the background, because it's a collaging of decorative napkin. Which is fine and lovely and I think it's a wonderful choice. Thank you, mass-produced napkin manufacturer.

I also want to remind you of a collage I recently gifted to someone, the background and border of which are original, while the imagery is not. Thank you, Walt Disney, Disney Studios, Disney.com friends and family and associated conglomerate.

Okay, so, to review: we've seen a canvas with collaged background and original focal imagery, and a canvas with original background and borrowed imagery.

So, what the hell is my point?

(I may have to grade on a curve.)

Anyway, I decided to take another painting class. As you may remember, I took Mary Ann Moss's class in stenciling, and THAT is a fantastic class. I was so happy with the effects I achieved.


I have stenciled many times since then, and not only on other people's lockers. However, I have not cut my own stencils yet, so the images are not solely my own, except for the tagging (not pictured, for obvious reasons), which is not always easy to achieve on those tiny little lockers at the gym.

Lately, I've been working on painting my canvases in the studio and creating my own backgrounds. Aside from the background shown above in the Tinkerbell canvas, I've made these:



As you can see, there's dripping involved. I used dripping because I wasn't quite sure how to achieve a textured depth otherwise. Then... I saw this accouncement.

Julie Prichard's Layer Love class has always seemed intriguing to me, but I've had to curtail any luxurious expenses. However, a year later, in preparation for its closing, Julie is offering this class for only two more weeks at a wonderfully reduced cost. So now, I'm ready! (Luckily, she accepts quarters.)

When the first lesson is completed, I'll share with you.

I hope you're taking notes, because this hypothetical test will be worth 100% of your hypothetical grade. Which will hypothetically not get you into Oxford or any other shirt-related institution.


Next up: Chris paints a canvas too spooky to keep in the house.

10 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

Hey thanks for the shout-out, Chris! I am happy you're in the layer Love course...you'll be painting background in no time flat! Yay!

Marie S said...

Hummmmmmmm, now I think you should paint the backgraound and the foreground on one canvas, you know, just so we could see what that looks like too!
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am SO ready to see the canvas too spooky to keep in the house! Well, and any other canvases,too.

pam said...

Yeah - I sort of agree with Marie! Background and foreground on the same canvas! Cool idea!

I am happy to see you having fun with you paints - after all that is what it is all about and if all you ever paint is backgrounds and you are having fun - do that!

Keep up posted on the class. Can't wait to see.

Chris said...

Oh, Marie and Pam! If only it were as easy as putting a foreground on a background! No, my problem has been that my backgrounds are not acceptable to me. I pictured them because they are clearly not READY for prime time!

Dianne said...

Bravo, Bravo! Yay for you...jumping into painting and the courage to do your own original images!this is a very good thing. it will be so much fun and also rewarding!

Dianne said...

(and it's always a possibility to collage a foreground image that you like onto a background that you like!)

Anonymous said...

all this talk about foreground and background, i think we need a moile..i don't thin the canvas is too spooky for MY house :D

susanna said...

Your last sentence has me cracking up laughing. Too spooky for the house, huh? I want to see it! And I say, draw, sketch, stamp, drip on, Chris! I particularly like the one of the horizontal blues and greens...like the sea...memories of Maui?

Anonymous said...

I'm likeing the drip and can't wait to see what you bring from Julie's class...