It's a new month, and that means: A new Crusade over at Michelle Ward's Street Team. I've been participating for about two years, now, and I love to join in on as many as possible. This month, it's about changing SIZE.
My regular reader will know that I started on this trail of artistic expression by working with relatively small dimensions. First: a small scrapbook of my family heritage.

ATCs (2.5x3.5)
Then, working with a group of other artists to swap ATCs and chunky (4x4) pages. So, most of my arty experiences have been with pages size 8x10 and under.

Postcard (4x6)
I've always loved working small, altering matchbooks and making cards and clay tiles and bookmarks.
Charms (btw 1 and 2 inches).
Lately, however, I've been wanting to stretch out. While my journal pages are still approximately 8x10 or smaller, a few weeks ago I decided to create a canvas for my friend Kerry's birthday. I wrote about it here, and here's a picture of it:

This canvas is 12x16. Obviously, these are not original images. But my friend is a Tinkerbell fan, so I found some Disney images and enlarged them. I probably don't have to tell you that it's Scary, moving from small pieces of creative work to large pieces. It's quite a challenge to spread out, risk making big, easy-to-see mistakes, and commit oneself to more paint, more image, more space on a wall! But now that I've stretched a bit, I'm finding that I have more and more ideas for larger landscapes and bigger themes.
It's rewarding to exercise the size muscles. What I love about small is that it can feel more intimate, and can be more accessible, can fit into smaller areas for display, and can also be an option when the checkbook is tighter. What I love about going large is not only that the impact of color and texture can be greater, and that a larger piece can stand alone on a wall and make a bold statement, but it also gives me the courage to say, Here it is--My Painting (or, my drawing, or my sculpture, or my theater) ! It's good to feel brave, and working bigger can require bravery.
I may be back to do more for the crusade. Now that I've gotten a bit big for my britches, I may need a little visit back to the microscopic...
Next up: Chris puts her bifocals on upside-down.


17 comments:
What a great idea. I like your Tinkerbell project.
Chris - fabulous post! Thanks for pulling it all together, to show the crusaders all the sizes you've tried on. It's cool to see it all in one place - from your charms to your canvas. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations too!
Yes, your friend Kerry loves her
Tink but where are my birds???
I want to hang them up at the ranch. My Dad and Meg and Kent
loved the tags I hung on the shoe racks that you also made for me but where are my birds??? Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, artistic struggle
whatever....Where are my birds???
Anonymous K
Dear Kerry;
It's so odd that you haven't gotten your birds! I wonder what happened to them? I mailed them priority about two months ago! Shall I make more? I'll make a dozen this time and mail them out separately express priority on different days. Let me know when you get them all!!
:P
It is so great to s t r e t c h and that is one of the things I have alwasy admired about you... you are always trying out new art techniques and approaches!
I love the charms and ATC's! Nice work on the larger size, too.
I love seeing what you are up to, and your Maui trip looks like it was amazing! Happy spring to you... roxanne
Great thoughts about size and going big, I agree. Small pages can be hidden, big canvases are really designed to be VIeWeD! :-) You did great! :-)
You work in a lot of different sizes, I think that's very cool. Love your Tinkerbell, and I totally adore the little clay thingies !
Hello Chris,
you are like me : loving to work in small sizes :)
Your charms are really nice and ATC's are also a lovely size.
Working big is not easy I think, but what your wrote about it, is very well said !
I need some more time to go big I think...
greetings from belgium
Inge
Hey Chris, loved reading this because I'm the opposite—I'd rather work on a biggish side, and went small for this challenge. My daughter is a Tinkerbell fan, and your piece has just given me a couple of ideas for her room...Thanks!
c
So sorry your comments have been deleted... that would be upsetting! It's my first crusade so I'm visiting the others to see the participant creations. I love ATCs and think your friend will enjoy her Tinkerbell for years to come! Happy creations from tj in germany
An amazing array of art! Just lovely!
Love your work. Like you I mostly work small, so it is good to do something different, although when I work small I love using all those leftover pieces of paper. Helen
Thanks for sharing all your work. Love the colours in the postcard.
Hey good on you for really upsizing. I think your friend is very lucky to have something so personal made for her.
Wow - living LARGE can be quite scary!! I've thought about trying a big piece myself. Haven't done it yet, but I'd really like to try it one day. Good for you for having the courage! From a fellow street team member -- teri.
Post a Comment