February 15, 2009

Reuse in Bloom

I just wanted to post a quickie about the flowers I got yesterday. Usually, I think buying flowers on Valentine's Day is dumb. They are too expensive. And I don't like to buy right into the mega-marketing consumerist propaganda machine. Or, something.

But my partner got a great deal on some flowers from Trader Joe's, that people said were past their prime, and they were going to be tossed. And look at them! All they needed was a bit of trimming! Sometimes the outer petals of roses get mussed up with water, sun, age, whatever, and they just need to be pulled away.

Aren't these lovely now? They are so pretty to have in the house and their scent is wonderful.
Past their prime!? Nah!



(Well, except for the fact that they've been cut from the plant and are slowly dying. Other than that.)


As a bonus, I got some puny little red tulips that were orphaned. And look at them now! Love 'em.


Now it's time to get a hot latte and read Exhibitionist 36. This book has far exceeded the great expectations I already had after hearing about it. I'll include a review in my next post. YAY!


Next Up: Chris receives a polite correction from Susan Tuttle regarding the title of her book.

15 comments:

notmassproduced said...

green fingers :o)

Ces Adorio said...

They are lovely and congratulations. Every woman deserves flowers, I think. I love flowers. My husband buys them for me on regular days or I buy them myself. There is a certain satisfaction that I derive from arranging them in the vase and having beautiful flowers in my house. It's one of those womanly things that I cherish. Ideally I want them in the garden but I am a terrible gardener. There is always a bouquet of flowers in our house. Sometimes I let a week or two go. My husband and I don't set rules about celebrations but he usually gives me and the children something on holidays, special occasions and ordinary days. I received a bouquet of roses yesterday and last Friday I gave him a baloon, a plush puppy that resembled our new puppy Daisy and a box of belgian chocolates. I think it's nice to remember friends and loved ones on special holidays and even on ordinary days. I gave a couple of fellow analysts baloons and chocolates for Valentine's Day just because I like them. A classmate of hers gave my daughter a rose. Sometimes though, I forget special and important events.

3rdEyeMuse said...

I was out today and almost bought an armload of tulips (seriously marked down) ... me thinks I need to go back and get them.

the flowers are gorgeous ... and have already been cut, so I think you (and I) will appreciate them way more than the dumpster. :)

Anonymous said...

Title, schmitle, thanks to you the book just got eight billion hits on Amazon.

e.beck.artist said...

gorgeous ... and happiness to you ....

Anonymous said...

Exhibitionist!

and hey...we are ALL beautiful and maybe just a tad beyond our prime:)

x...x

TBM said...

WOW! I am glad you guys were able to rescue those beauties. They are gorgeous!!

Very Mary said...

You've won the freebie friday giveaway! Please zip your snail mail addy to maryann(at)averymarydesign(dot)com

Ces Adorio said...

Just a quick note. You are such a sweetie Krissie. Thanks for the wonderful comments in my blog. I do appreciate you very much.

Mrs Pretzel said...

NICE!! I love deals like that. A lot of produce gets tossed like that too. Shame too, because Pomegranates are best when they look their worst!! lol

Leslie said...

Beautiful flowers, Chris. I'm glad that you fixed them up and loved them. All of us 'past our prime' flowers need someone to love and care for us!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That's a freudian slip if ever I saw one...

And I dont like cut flowers, you get em in a vase to watch them die. Never understood that.

Chris said...

Oh, grrl! You also get them to watch the buds open and show their beauty! You also get them for the colors and scents! They are cultivated for beauty, not to last forever! And, who's to say watching a beauty age isn't beautiful in itself?

oh, okay. I'll send you some. I know a hint when I hear one!

Teri said...

I had to come over and check out your Blog because pam was raving about you! And I can see why! Such an interesting Blog.

I am going to remember the hint about TJ! wow, your flowers are gorgeous!!!

kelsey said...

Had to laugh when I read your "Exhibitionist" comment....I had a customer the other day say to me "I just got this new book, you'd love it Kelsey, it's called Technique 48!!!". I immediately knew she was talking about Exhibition 36 and asked her if that was the title, she laughed...funny how I knew EXACTLY what she meant though. Takes one to know one! lol