My partner has had arrhythmia for a few years. This weekend, she had it continually for 4 hours. She elected to go to the hospital to see if they could do something, although her doctor has never been able to pinpoint what the problem is. Of course, he's never been able to witness the event as it was happening.
At the ER, we found out that her heart rate was 155. They gave her a room in the ER and when the nurse and technician came in, her heart rate had been vacillating between 155 and 172, and they said it had been that way for the past four hours. So, every time this has happened, her heart rate has been over twice its normal rate. They did an IV push of something that matabolizes very quickly, and within 5 seconds, her heart rate went down to 68.
To make a long story short, she has PAT, or paroxysmal atrial tachycardia. Which I think is a pretty exotic way to get attention, but to each their own.
So, after two nights in the hospital, and a visit to a cardiologist, it was determined that her heart was not weakened by the duration of the PAT, which is a huge relief. We also found out that she should have something called a 'catheter ablation' so that the condition will not recur.
But, wait. All of this is not even the funny part!
So, the cardiologist gave her this pamphlet:

Now, WHY does this image crack me up? It just cracks me up! LOOK at the happiness these people are obviously experiencing. They have no idea that one of them is about to have a catheter ablation. Or maybe all of them are! And in the prime of their lives! These people are younger than my dog. Perhaps they are riding their bikes to the catheter ablation center right now. And it looks like fun!
Then, on the inside, the procedure is explained. And look:

Who knew we all have sirloin steaks in our bodies? Isn't that what these are? Or are they T-bone steaks? In any case, doctors wouldn't lie! This is a medical instructional manual, where everything must look like what it is. I mean, this is anatomically correct, people. Steak!
And now look at the back of this pamphlet:

I don't think I've ever seen people this happy in my life. I can't help but think I should have a catheter ablation, myself. I had no idea they were so upbeat!
Next up: Chris gets an 'unfortunate' blog comment from a professional catheter ablation pamphlet artist.
18 comments:
YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!! Surprisingly enough...I have a similar pamphlet around here somewhere entitled, "your appendix and you"...and I swear..there are people riding their bikes on the cover!! Your steak comment is spaced excellently on the blog too...On my monitor...I saw the picture first and said, "what the hell are those steaks"...scrolled down to continue reading, and viola! Who knew there was such a thing as comedic timing on a blog post! You're a riot.
Signed, Julie: off to look up what her word verification means.. "ramaboa"..convinced I am getting secret messages in those things.
Oh Chris!!! I've SOOOOOOO missed your humour on Bad Baby, where you been girl!!! Oh, I know, having a catheter ablation! lol
Yep, I saw steaks too and those people in the book remind me of our early reader books from Grade 1 and Grade 2. "See Nip run. Run Nip run." What a crack-up!
....and MY secret word verification is "untero"...sort of sounds like "in utero", though I am most definitely past that!!! lol
Oh my gosh. I hope your sweetie is feeling much better. What a scary time for both of you! I am glad the pamphlet gave you something to laugh about. Sending the two of you positive energy and lots more laughs.
thanks for the early morning chuckle (well actually I laughed out loud:) They did look like steaks!
and I to have noticed the verification
words. I've been writing them down, thinking about creating an alternate dictionary using them:)
OMG!! This is too funny. I have a Back One here somewhere my husband got when his back went out. Those things are drawn by out of work school text artists, Kelsey's right. They are made so they are not scary I guess. WOW!! Love your post. Makes me want a steak made "Well Done". Sharon
Well, I thought more pork chops than steak but hey whatever. Now just be thankful the couple on the back of the pamphlet were walking the dog and not sitting in side by side bathtubs because then you'd wonder if this whole catheter ablation led to erectile disfunction too.
Anonymous K
very funny as usual..whenever I want a good laugh I come and visit you..those happy people on bikes!! the steaks!!..while I am on here having a laugh thanks for your comment about my knitted bag (it took me ages to do so I havent just whipped it up!!)
Oh WOW!! I had no idea I needed one of those! I totally agree with you on the photos. I'm sold. No need to crack that puppy open and read anything!! Who WOULDN'T want one of those?
My doll's eyes... I used sharpie, sharpie paint pens, and paints to make them. I like details... lol You should see the shadowing I'm working on now!! *sigh* I think I'm in love...
Oh man, this pamphlet is hysterical! Like Kelsey, it makes me think of early readers, or maybe the "A Doctor Talks To A 12-Year-Old About Sex" book that my mom handed me on my 12th birthday. (Too late.)
Still, I hope that all goes well with your partner's catheter ablation.
You are craaaazeeeee. I'm suppose to make an appointment for a Colonoscopy(sp?)this year, Perhaps I should refrain from asking for the pamphlet. I can't imagine the same family riding bikes with the same smile. Maybe a picture of them at the beach surfboarding the tidal waves on their stomach? Thanks for the laugh. Have a great weekend.
Also, 'ablation' sounds a lot like 'ablution,' and J uses that word to describe things that he does in the bathroom in the morning, and it's nothing you'd want to do to your heart.
Ewwww...Reminds me of the Dick and Jane readers from another lifetime of mine...I do hope everything is better and the things are on the mend...scarey phamplet! :)
You are very funny! Haha! Paroxysmal Aatrial tach is not funny though. I remember taking care of patients with PAT in our cardiac rooms. Did you know I am a nurse and my specialty is emergency and trauma nursing? The heart when dissected does not look like a sirloin steak. I think the artist was thinking of sirloin steaks though. Maybe she/he was hungry? Hahah. Try dissecting a chicken heart and imagine it was the size of your fist, that would be the heart. Yum yum, I am hungry for steak! Do you like chicken livers? I always wanted to eat them but am so afraid. Oh the word verufcation is gunraill.
Chris, this post is hysterical. I will NEVER look at these kinds of pamphlets in the same way again! I have that very pamphlet but until today I never saw the humor in it. In fact, I have several, all related to similar medical subjects - and Chris, you are right - they are all illustrated by the same artist and have nearly the same bycycle riding, happy people on the cover and T-bone steak hearts.
But....in all fairness to those lovely people who wrote and illustrated these pamphlets, they do a very good job of doing what they are designed to do - answer questions about physical conditions.
Loved, the post!
All of these happy people remind me of so many TV commercials with happy, smiling people having a wonderful time while the moderator explains that the side effects of the drug are far more troubling than the condition it is supposed to fix. Thanks but no thanks.
Having been though this catheter ablation with Pam I had ample opportunity to read the pamphlets and was again reminded of the "what to do if..." pamphlets you read after you have gotten strapped in and are ready to take off on your flight over mostly dry land and the pamphlet is describing a water landing...
Thanks for your wonderful take on this. Very funny! Now where are those steaks?
Wait . . . Pam, I don't remember any of us getting steaks!
Hi Chris... I might have looked at the pamphlet and thought it was pretty lame, but now that I look at it through your eyes, it IS really funny! You may be on to something... perhaps cardiac catheter ablation might be the perfect therapy for depression! Who knew?!? I'm going to go and sign up for one right now... I'll let you know how it turns out! Oh, and thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog, and for leaving such a kind comment... all my best, Kathy.
I['s write more but I am laughing too hard.. you know the procedure sucks the big one when they have that 50's chinese communist art style.
Post a Comment