August 17, 2009

Blog Her? I Don't Even Remember Her!

I don't know who took this photo.


This is the latest in my continuing series, "Where Have I Been, and Why Do I Have A Blog, If I'm Going To Neglect It For Days At A Time Anyway". Which is more fondly referred to as WHIB&WDIHABIIGTNIFDAATA.


I am working on three projects! I can't show them to you yet! Besides that, I've been ensconced in multiple family birthdays and friends' anniversaries and basketball games and nights out with people who mistakenly believe I have time for nights out with them!

I don't know how to stress all of this enough.

On one of the birthdays/outings I don't have time for, I saw a most delightful movie, one which I like to think of as a paeon both to cooking, and to blogging. But 'what I like to think of things as' is rarely rooted in reality. Often, it's rooted in 'Just So Stories' thinking, in which I know what things SHOULD be, and elect to avert my eyes from what they ARE, unless they can become what they SHOULD be only by way of facing what they ARE, in which case I get cranky and unpleasant to be around unless everyone agrees with me and sees my reasoned point.

You know what I mean. Don't even front.

This movie:



is so delightful there is no way to say how delightful it is. But I'll try.

Certainly there are flaws. For one thing, as one who has read the book, I recognize that Julie is not well represented for the snark she is. I realize that Nora Ephron can never completely leave out, for the duration of an entire movie, the completely unnecessary romantic tension of girl losing boy and getting boy back. I can even see that kewpie doll Amy Adams, who is fine at her craft and often a pleasure to watch, was not nearly the best choice for the roll of Julie. But these flaws are easily overlooked, when you're watching Meryl Streep just ACE every scene she's in, when you can watch classic dishes being lovingly prepared, choice bits of classic Julie Child television, and Stanley Tucci, in the roll of Paul Child, defying comparison to anyone, even to himself. Immerse yourself in this film. Just give in. And I rarely, if ever, have said this.


I left the movie feeling wonderful. And that hasn't happened to me at a movie in a long, long time.


In other news, I just bought this.



Next Up: Chris brags about other stuff she can't legitimately take credit for.

12 comments:

Lost Aussie said...

Couldn't agree more...I thought the movie was just 'wonderful too!

Leau said...

Oh I loved the book!! Not sure if I wanted to see the movie, but now I will, might, am thinking about, okay fine, I'll go. I love the pretty new blue color, come back, K? smooches

Unknown said...

Glad to see I'm not the only neglecting my blog : ) Summers seem to just keep so many of us busy busy : )

Seth said...

Chris you are unforgettable. Even when you aren't bloggin!

Leslie said...

What Seth said.

And I'll be seeing this movie now.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, is Chris' next new big thing in crafts going to be urban graffiti? Will she find herself confined in fetid jail cells with women named Martha who weigh 400 pounds and have bad tempers and fists like hams? Will she be spotted on the six o'clock news, hanging from a freeway overpass as the cop cars converge and the helicopters circle overhead? There are some things even puffy paint with glitter can't get you out of, Missy.

TBM said...

I cannot wait to see this movie. Maybe I'll go tomorrow!

Uh, if it's showing in Holland...

3rdEyeMuse said...

I'm thinking this whole "WHIB&WDIHABIIGTNIFDAATA" is actually where you ought to be at the time or "WYOTBATT" ... other than that, I totally and completely agree - that was one of the BEST movies I have seen in ages. I would watch it a million more times.

rivergardenstudio said...

This post is so funny! I can hardly wait to see the movie, too... Roxanne

Anonymous said...

yes yes!! great post...I saw the movie 2 times...I just love it! I love how Julia had never actually 'met' Avis until 8 years into their friendship...how very bloggy is that!!

x..x

Susan Tuttle said...

i am so happy to hear you adored this movie -- I have been wondering if I should see it -- now i know.

:)

Anonymous said...

They are becoming the enhancement option of choice for many men for several reasons. vimax pills is the best penis enlargement pills on the market today.
http://www.male-sexual.com/vimax-pills.html - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pobXsnw7CWs