April 21, 2010

Pressing and Pulling Pretties


It's Crusade Time!!

Over at Michelle Ward's Street Team, we're pulling prints. There are some amazing-looking results from the play and experimentation initiated by Michelle (which she always does so well--initiating play time!). Check out the links on the left sidebar of the Crusade 39 post. You'll see yummies galore from the crusaders.

Due to my usual time constraints (Maui beckons!), my experiments were limited to Michelle's beginning steps--keeping it simple. I didn't even get to the stenciling, which, believe me, is fabulous! But I still had a lot of fun. I took out my small and large index cards and started laying down paint on glass, then pressing.

Following are the multitude of my process photos.

To the right: glass with burnt umber paint from Liquitex. Center is the first index-card pressing.
Left is the second pressing.



I love the texture of that second pressing.

However, I found that the paint on the glass was not thick enough for a good stamp press...

...and definitely not enough for the second. So, I threw a lot of paint on the glass next time:
The stamp made a better impression that time.


Here's the first pressing.

And the second pressing has that pretty halo Michelle talks about.

I put down some green over the thinned-out umber, and got this.

I like the second pressing. It's a ghostie/outlinie thingie. Cool!

Then I put a green stamping over one of the umbers, and got this nice echo.
But this didn't really involve pulling.


I don't know when I got these, but I like them. I was just in a zone, pressing and pulling.

I love using paper toweling (pulled apart to one ply) in my art, so I stamped a couple of times here. Neato. I like how much paint gets on the stamp when the glass is loaded with paint.

I decided to two-tone it. But first, I had pulled the paint up with an index card and then pulled again:

I love these index card prints, even though they are shapeless.
These are going to find their place in a collage, for sure.


It's always fun to play with the team. I'll be making my way to see what everyone's done with their prints, because I know there's some great stenciling that's been done out there!



Next up: Chris gets some mail art and a giftie!

17 comments:

michelle ward said...

Chris - see how fast those cards pile up? Wasn't that quick and easy? So glad you found the time to come play this month. I'm thrilled to see everyone's work. Great job. Love seeing that you *got* it about the 2nd print. Maui? When? Have fun!!

Erin in Morro Bay said...

Ooo, I love the ones on the paper towel!
Erin

Unknown said...

How fun Chris! I love learning new things!

Mescrap said...

Cool !! Love the effect !

jennifer lorton said...

Well done. I think they are beauties. Have fun in Maui, I'm so envious!

jgr said...

I love them all!! Great color choices, too. You've inspired me to do some more. Maui-have a good trip!

goudenregen said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love the print you made with the leaves in two colors. How clever of you to use a paper towel, I will try that too. Helen

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

...way to gooo! my fav is the paper towels, as well...looks like ya' had fun too!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!! I LOVE the print that you didn't think had enough paint for a second print...I haven't done a challenge for a long time and this one looks like so much fun. maybe after the studio tour I'll get to play...

have a GREAT time in Mauii!!

Regina said...

really like the way you used the stamp. I'll have to try that next.

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh Chris, what fun you are having! I love the prints on the paper towel too. Have a fantastic trip! roxanne

Dianne said...

enjoyed your prints & stamps! well done, and especially like the green & brown combination...

Priti Lisa said...

Looks like fun...always fun to learn new things...say hi to Maui for me!
xox

Anonymous said...

I'd heard the phrase "bumping uglies" and I must say, "pressing and pulling pretties" sounds a whole lot nicer.

Leslie said...

Oh, how pretty and fun! The fun things are my to-do list are stacking up, but this may have to be added to it.

Mona said...

hmmm .... maybe I should try some more. your prints are beautiful

Marilyn said...

I love what you did with this technique. I'm just sad I did not have time to do the challenge this past month. Maybe I'll still get to it. But now it's time for another. Your work is lovely.