October 18, 2007

Color Bind


I try to do three swaps per month with the art group I belong to, and those are: the ATC swap, the Countries chunky pages swap, and the Color Combo chunky pages swap. This month, I'm running behind, because I've been making Halloween thingies for my peeps.

No, not the candy phenomenon Peeps. I mean, my homeys.

But, I DO have my color combos done and sent out. An example of same is pictured, above. This month's color combination is: Red and Yellow.

Now. I ask you:

Does this look like Red and Yellow to you?! Isn't is more like rust and gold?

Let's back up a bit and say, I recently purchased the classic Somerset publication from 2002, True Colors, about collaborative art journals. (If you love art-and let's face it-who doesn't? you have to see this.) And it gave me the courage and the inspiration I needed to move beyond my typically strict feeling about 'red' and 'yellow', and use 'rust' and 'gold'. Not that the artists in True Colors were irreverent about their color assignments, but because I realized by looking at the variety and scope of their pages that what I was seeing as 'red' and 'yellow' might have much more depth and complexity than what I initially believed. And I think my pages worked out fairly well! Of course, I guess we'll find out when the host gets them and emails telling me the 'rust and gold' pages were due last year.

I'm really looking forward to doing the rolodex cards theme, Dia de los Muertos. All those colors and whimsical skulls! I've never made anything for Day of the Dead before.

Next up: Vacuuming glitter off your pets!

No comments: