Today, I worked on mine. Several times I considered the best method for commiting hari-kari. I tried my first free-hand drawing, rather than a photograph or a printed image or even a stamp, for the main image. So, of course, there were a million difficulties with the face, the length of the body, getting the posture correct, making the boots like like they might actually have feet in them...
...and that was just the sketch and the memory penciling!
Then, the embossing powder/glitter debacles. I actually scraped across the embossing powder after it had just been heated, you know, while it was MOLTEN! Then, duh, I realized that the actual detail lines in the sketch were being covered over by the embossing process. But I conquered that with my black gel pen! Luckily, I hadn't had to do myself in, so far.
On a separate piece of watercolor paper, I painted the background, but the paint kept running in a weird way I hadn't intended, so I blotted it with a paper towel, which gave it a cool kind of pattern. Then I sprinkled salt over the wet paper, and when it dried, patted off the salt, which left lovely snow-like spots, which is Just What I Wanted! A happy accident!!
But just before adding the fashion image (fashion is the theme of our calendars), I placed some cool stamped images, one from Printed Matter and one from Tuscany, both Michelle Ward rubber sheets, and here it is!

Next: Chris plays with Zetti ! And Chris cheats!
(And Zetti wins, of course!!)
5 comments:
I saw your picture and thought immediately of Anna Karenina! Partially because your character looks Russian, and, I still have about 200 pages before I'm finished reading the book. Also, it's been on my mind all day because I was reading a short article about classics, translations and abridgment in the New Yorker this morning which (sadly for me) gave the ending of this Tolstoy story away (yes, I had no idea of the ending until this morning)!
Oh, this is so nice! I haven't even read Anna Karenina, but I certainly was thinking of Russia. I'm so glad that it looked like what I was thinking. Thank you.
When I drew it, it was 95 degrees.
since your name is chris, and you write a blog, it should be called a "clog".
ps, i like the picture too!
Ohhhh Chris! I really like your January page...I am definatley going to purchase one now!
I agree with Emmy, I also thought of Anna K, or even of Anastasia, it's very Russiany. When I saw the calendar had a "fashion" theme I wasn't that interested, but this is a really nice piece, Miss Chris.
Post a Comment