
And here's what's happened to my work space. First, photos of the evolution of my work area. And it's not a theory. I have sound scientific evidence that it really happened.
Here's where I was working last month. I had a lot of deadlines coming up and needed the space for spreading out a lot of material, looking through it all, and putting it close to hand.
For each individual project during this crazy period, and during any period when I have several projects going at once, I brought some materials over to the coffee table to work. The dining table is too high for sitting and working on something for any period of time, and from the coffee table I can look up at the TV any time!

But after all the projects were done, I set about organizing the stuff, and it was.. Horrifying! I had stuff...EVERYWHERE! In places that didn't even previously exist!
Here's a glimpse of what the space looked like when I started. Fortunately, I couldn't take in the whole scene with my camera...

But it gives you an idea. Obviously, the only way to sort it all out was to open every storage box and just toss items into the appropriate boxes...and when those boxes filled up, start new ones.

After clearing out a chest of drawers of a lot of useless items I didn't want any more, I was able to find a separate place for my books, my beading, and my larger art papers.


And here is the finished space. Well, almost finished. Some of those boxes could use some organizing, and the picture will be moved and labels put on boxes, and other little things changed. But mostly, this is my studio. With a big picture window.


It's hard to see them, but there are big storage tubs under the table, filled with packing materials for my swaps, rolls of cheapie paper towels, alterable items such as drink carriers and birdhouses and tins. It is SO cool not to have those sitting out when I'm not working on them.
So, basically, that's it! A great space, and it's a relief to have it organized better. Sometimes I like being in the living room, close to the action, but at least I won't have to take all the storage boxes out there and then cart them all back. I have a couple of little baskets on the end of one of the shelves, where I can throw all the supplies for a project, and then the project is portable.
In other news: have you seen this book?

Oh, don't front with me. You haven't seen it, and you feel silly. Well, so did I, until I got it at the library. Because it's an incredible book. I saw it and I said to myself: Cardboard? Who are they kidding? I've seen cardboard everything, including clothes! I know all about cardboard! Who needs a book about it?
My friend, we ALL need a book about it. In fact, I'd say our schools would do well to replace all their tetherball textbooks with this book about making things out of cardboard. It could be the solution to the whole 'America behind the universe in test scores' thing.
Next up: Chris tries to locate the glue.
3 comments:
oi! the things we can do with cardboard, and just think it won't end up in landfills. I'm for that.
MBW
What a great space to work in. I think both the before and the after spaces lend themselves to creativity. Can't help but notice you have 3 remotes and they are perfectly organized!
Yes! I believe in keeping the remotes in an orderly arrangement, to facilitate instant, one-finger adjustments!
Post a Comment