August 5, 2008

Pay It ForWard


We all know what it feels like to be grateful. Not obligated, but grateful. With gratitude for a kindness visited upon us by someone who seems to understand just what to do to lift our spirits, make our load lighter, or simply cheer us up at a difficult time. Michelle Ward's current Street Team Crusade is to acknowledge one of these kindnesses, however simple or grand. To do something in response to that kindness, be it to demonstrate thankfulness to the giver, or to demonstrate generosity to someone else. Visit Michelle's site and find out what so many of her friends and readers have done to express gratitude and appreciation for the immeasurable kindnesses of others.

Not long ago, I posted pictures of a pendant I'd made for a very special woman on her birthday. Here are the photos again.






It's the first pendant I'd made, but I knew I wanted to create something unique for Connie. Connie is a gifted photographer and a tireless chronicler of the lives of peoples of Asia, the Middle East, and the Third World. From Albany, NY, she travels the world during the year, often apart from her family. Her husband, a veteran of the Vietnam war, and I became internet friends through postings to an online guest book. Frank was due to visit California some time ago, and when my partner and I met with him I was surprised to find that his wife, who had heard of my interest in her work, had sent with him a bundle of her photographs in the form of greeting cards and postcards. I was so touched by this, and so overwhelmed, I will never forget the feeling of opening up that large packet and looking through the beautiful cards at images that were new, personal, and inspiring. She had sent to me, a stranger, a bit of herself, a unique gift, the product of her own art and craftsmanship.




I wanted to make Connie something that only I could make. There is a bit of Connie in the pendant, too. I included a tiny puzzle piece of the little giggling boy in one of her photos. It took me a few years to pay it forward, but I have never forgotten Connie's generosity. I often look at the beautiful images of her cards, and marvel at her bravery, fortitude, and commitment to education and enlightenment. We are lifted up by Connie and people like her and Michelle.

10 comments:

michelle ward said...

chris - great story! thanks for sharing it with us.

michelle ward said...

p.s. love the capital W.
*wink*

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog because I find out things about you that you've never shared before or maybe you were sharing them and I wasn't listening....nah, not possible.

Anonymous K

Chris said...

Anonymous K;

My life is an open sieve.

Love,
Chris

Janine Davies said...

Great story Chris... love the pendant!

Kathryn Antyr said...

Sharing handmade thoughtful surprises is fun for the giver and the receiver. I think it is wonderful to return kindnesses even if it takes a few years to do so. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pendant and story.

Anonymous said...

These stories are all so heartfelt!! I Love reading the posts from this crusade- thank you so much for sharing!

inge said...

hello Chris,

you've not only honored the woman with your pendant but also with this post !!

greetings
Inge from Belgium

Kim Mailhot said...

This is a beautiful story, a beautiful pay it forward gesture and a beautiful pendant ! Well done, Crusader !
Kim

Maj said...

This is a good reminder, that it is not important "when" you pay it forward, but "that" you do it!
Great story!