October 21, 2008

HA! Arboretum!

Be forewarned, this map is NOT to scale.

As promised, here is Part Two of our fabulous trip to the L.A. County Arboretum. Sunday, if you remember back that far, and if you were in the San Gabriel Valley of L.A. County, and if you were awake at 8:35am, you know that it was a beautiful time to be in a natural area, as long as it has paved roads and is irrigated, devoid of marsh, or free-growing bamboo forests, or tiger pits. And the Arboretum was just that. A beautiful, landscaped natural setting free of ice floes, leeches, rampaging rhinoceri, or rowdy flocks of leather-legged red-naped sapsuckers. Who needs those?

Where was I ? Oh, yeah. We've established that we were at the Arboretum. Why, though? Why were we there?

Well, among other reasons, to see THIS:





It's enough to put Yosemite Falls to shame, I mean, if Yosemite Falls wasn't so damn awesome first.

I take a brief moment to tell you something which will probably strain my credibility (if the preceeding paragraph hasn't already), but nonetheless is true. At a dinner party recently, it was posited to me that the reason the ambient temperature of Las Vegas had dipped of late is because of the increase in massive water features at the hotels along the strip. Yes. I was told this. That because of the Mirage volcano feature and the water ballet in front of the Bellagio, among other features, Las Vegas is cooler than it used to be.

As Mark Thompson would say, take that with you.

Okay, here are some more photos, and prettier flora you will never see, except in the Amazon, which probably no longer actually exists. (Make sure to tell the kids about it, though.)

This iris was in the rose garden. Interloper.


Some trees were blooming. Love this.


Some Peacock is looking all over for this.


Bilingual West Nile Virus warning. We didn't see any mosquitos. But then, they're sneaky little suckers. hahaha! okay.


Another amazing blooming plant!

This tree couldn't muster the energy to flower, but it's beautiful just the same.

According to the sign, this Iris is bearded.


There were even fish growing there!



We were so excited to see prey, we got out our teeny fishing poles and lures and sat there for a long long time, being very quiet, but apparently, these fish don't eat anything bigger than their heads. Which are too teeny for actual thoughts.

All in all, our visits to this amazing place are always really peaceful, thought-provoking, humbling.



Well, not humbling for this mockingbird, who perched looking over everything and squawking away at the top of his lungs. But humbling for certain people who just found out their shoes aren't licensed for real walking around.


Next up: Chris experiences the rustic nature of two-part epoxy when her hair joins forces with a table.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What terrific photos! Normally I'm not real big on "nature" photography, being (as Garrison Keillor put it) the sort of person who thinks the Grand Canyon looks better with Fred and Irma in front of it, smiling, but you surely do make the Arboretum look tempting. 'Course, part of it could be that I'm just so overawed by anyone who could be anywhere other than at home in bed at 8:30 AM. Who knew the sun was up then? Marvelous.

Anonymous said...

guffaw guffaw guffaw
you make me do deep belly laugh in the wednesday afternoon.
clap clap clap
snort
hate it when i do that.

Chris said...

Dave, if you keep that up, I'm not going to show up for my guest spot.
That's the kind of power and control I have over you!

Anonymous said...

What a place! and right in the middle of the city!

I sooo believe that fact about Las Vegas, HUMONGOUS water features and misters everywhere...in the middle of the desert.

So happy you are participating in the Dia and for spreading the word!

x...x
2 part epoxy? that sounds scary!

Anonymous said...

I've heard that the temp and humidity level of Palm Springs has decreased every year because of the golf courses. Fore!

Seth said...

Thanks for the tour. I can almost hear the water from the waterfall crashing on the rocks.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris,

A raven would like to fly to you to see this beautiful nature !...

Bill just made his drawing for the halloween give-away and you're one of the lucky winners !!

Can you contact me to let me know your adress , so I can send you the ATC and the stamp ?

greetings from Pinkepinke in Belgium
Inge

TBM said...

What glorious photos and what a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning! Love the butterfly shots from the previous post. For some reason, there aren't a lot of butterflies here in England. There only seem to be small white or yellow ones here. I miss the monarchs back in Texas!