February 6, 2009

If It Were Easy, Everyone Would Do It

Hi, folks!

In the midst of my usual whirlwind, checking in and loving you people for being all


arty and stuff


But I have a very quick observation I must share. Well, it's not an observation so much as a shocked curiosity. Well, maybe curiosity isn't the word, maybe utter astonishment is the word. Or, it's two words. But what I'm saying is


i have no idea what i'm saying.

So it's a good thing I have a blog, huh!? HAHAAAHAAH!!!

okay, quit kidding around.


Seriously, though. What took me aback and got me all affronted was this:

I was reading someone's blog post about CHA (the craft and hobby association), and about the divide (which I believe is artificial and forced) between independent crafters and other, 'normal' crafters and artists. One of the comments to that blog was from someone who agreed that the indie craft community is often ghettoized (my term) by the mainstream craft community, but this commentor went on to say something like, 'the newest thing in the (mainstream) art community is art journaling. And, come on, who needs to be taught how to journal?'

WHAT?

I was nonplussed by the ignorance of this comment. Not that the commentor is ignorant because I have no idea who it is, but, here's the thing: If you haven't TRIED TO JOURNAL, you have NO IDEA what you're up against. James Bond tried journalling before he decided it was too hard and then went into the espionage business.

So, here's my question:

Honestly, and faithfully, without malice aforethought and with the courage of your convictions, not wishing harm to any person or thing, and with attention to your still, small voice...


I forgot the question.

Oh, yeah!

What is the most difficult art technique, medium, or genre with which you've ever worked? And if you aren't an artist or crafter, is there something you've tried to learn and found you might give it up because it's a real struggle?

And your bonus question is: Was it worth the struggle, or will you not try it again?


I'm sorry to get so personal, but it has to be done.



Next Up: Chris calls Teesha Moore at home to say, "Really. What's the big deal?"

16 comments:

Erin in Morro Bay said...

Interestingly enough I have torn my hair out over transfers. I've read all the books, I've even had classes - but somehow when I get home and try to do it - strange results. Luckily my art is of the vintage-y, tattered and torn type -so less than perfect is often OK, but still...
Erin in Morro Bay

Judy Wise said...

In this culture we have to be taught how to have fun. No really, we are told that time is money and surrounded by so much left-brained capitolistic predatory gusto that just picking up art tools and letting go is a daunting challenge for many people. Meanwhile, the rewards of daily journaling are numerous; it's really therapy on learning how to live.

Self-expression is one goal of journaling classes; the other is friendship, fellowship and fun. In fact, that may be the main point for many people - just meeting other artists and forming community.

I could go on but I'm not a disagreer. I just know that taking classes in self-expression has made my life happier in areas other than art. Don't worry. Make art.

Anonymous said...

Watercolors! I could do almost anything with acrylic or oil paints, pastels or pencils or charcoal or ink, but the damn watercolors defeated me utterly. All I could paint was desert scenes, with the top half of the page one color and the bottom half another. As soon as I tried to add something as simple as a cactus or a rock, the picture instantly turned into a 'fifties-style science-fiction movie poster. Did I give up? Hell yes I gave up! I had enough to keep me busy with the oils and acrylics and charcoal and so on. Stinkin' watercolors.

Chris said...

Erin, I am with you! Transfers actually scare me (like fractions in math!)! I've tried them all sorts of ways, but have only been successful with a couple of them, and even those I ended up tearing. I need a class in transfers!

Chris said...

Thanks, Judy. I think that's a lot of it for me. I worry too much about it looking 'right'. Much harder on ourselves than we are on others! But I've seen the possibilities for learning and affirmation through the process. I'll keep on keeping on with that in mind!

Chris said...

YA Steve: watercolors are my kryptonite!

Anonymous said...

Alright- first of all....feast your eyes on the Lost Luggage Transfer Tutorial from the archives:

http://lostluggagereviews.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-transfer.html

Second....oh..I am feeling weak.. LOL Where do I start? I think that a lot of people who want to know how to art journal really don't understand the meaning of an art journal in the first place. However...I don't think it's cool to make a comment about people who want to learn how to...I say teach them!

Chris said...

Hey, Julie!! I forgot about your transfer tutorial! I'm going over there right now. I can't wait to transfer everything!

3rdEyeMuse said...

this is likely to get a giggle or two - sewing! seriously. I can sew a button with ease, but sew a plushie?!? ... with great patterns and gentle guidance, I try ... I really, REALLY try. so far, it all looks like efforts of preschoolers.

worth the effort?

of course!

one day, I just might actually get it.

then again, maybe not.

and that's ok, too.

oh.

and watercolors kick my ass, too.

Unknown said...

Oil paints & transfers! Would love to work with them...but some how we just dont seem to know how to work together. So acrylic & old papers is my way to go.

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi Chris!
First thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

Great question...and as a professional artist for over 30 years, I am going to admit that the most difficult thing for me to do is keeping up with a journal!

I can work for hours, sometimes days and even months on an art piece or a piece of jewelry..but, when I have to sit down and just "play" in my journal and "let go"----hardest thing in the world.

I find that it has helped keep me "focused" when I follow along in a class or given instruction. It is not that we need to be "taught" to journal----I see it as being "inspired". from another source besides our own muse!

I look forward to getting to know you and have a beautiful & creative weekend! xo....deb

Anonymous said...

mm.. love it when you open up that big can of whoop arse!

Let 'em eat transfers, I say.. no really, I found the hardest thing was staying true to myself in style and form. And that is still a strugggle. I spent many years wanting to be Teesha, then Keely, then living vicariously through Sabrina Ward Harrison, that now I am compelled to stalk Anahata...

jgr said...

Hi Judy,
I find your post very interesting: The big challenge for me: Watercolors. They say "the first 2,000 paintings don't count" LOL! I think it's true in my case but after 2 years I am making progress.

Anonymous said...

As you know, Chris, I once put some put some intense work into making graham cracker houses glued together with royal icing. As well as being an artistic challenge, I felt it could be a career path, since, with all the recent foreclosures, people might be interested in moving into graham cracker houses. However, I found that no matter how much icing I slathered on or how many gumdrops I used as ballast, my houses tilted like frat boys after a kegger. So, back to mosaic.

Anonymous said...

I am constantly challenged with new processes that see in our lovely blog world. I want to try them all....

but

journaling has been the thing that has OPENED the floodwaters to my creativity. It's a discipline, it's techniques that once 'learned' can be taken and RUN with.

run with scissors...to grab more stuff to journal with.

x..x

Kitty said...

Hi Chris - I found you when you popped up on my page as being someone brave enough to be identified as a reader! You have an interesting blog - I have added you to my google reader. Thanks so much for visiting my place.

Take care :-)

PS: The word verification is gunkbonq - fabulous!