
Have you seen this book?
This is one of the funnest, neatest, keenest, and even swellest books, ever!
I am a lucky girl, because the art group to which I belong is doing a polymer clay tile swap, using, among other things, Laurie Mika's techniques as inspiration. Can you stand it?! This means that I can try to make tiles like Laurie's and not be considered a fraud and a poser! If someone says, these look oddly like you're trying to steal SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK, I can say: "Well, but, the art group made me do this! They will do anything to keep me from sending in my own ideas!"
It's very freeing.
Just LOOK at this icon by Laurie Mika:

Is this not fantastic?
In her book, Laurie shows how to add beads to tiles and how to shade with powders, take images from Da Vinci, incorporate stamping and gold leafing, use metallic embellishments and jewels, and I think there may be something from the tooth fairy in some of these tiles. It's just a stunning book.
After conditioning and rolling out bricks of polymer clay (putting my hands in ice to reduce the swelling and applying bandages to cuts) I'm having great fun creating patterns and imprints on my tiles, and I look forward to seeing all the great tiles I'll be getting from others!
And here's a book destined to become a classic.
Check this out.

I realize that I blabbed enthusiastically about this book when I received it for Christmas from someone who was sick of my whining on and on about it. But when I actually started reading it a few weeks ago...? I was so delighted by how much inspiration, technique, information, and eye candy is tucked inside this pretty cover that I knew right away that this is one of the books I will return to again and again for ideas and sheer muse mojo. I like this book so much I actually reviewed it on Amazon. I NEVER do that! (not since they blocked me and I was forced to start a new member profile)
Let me tell you what I like. Since this is my blog.
What I like is that Exhibition 36 gives each of 36 artists pages of their very own. They can explain technique, share inspiration, discuss personal challenges, and show the background of a selected work of art. It's like taking a museum tour, except that in this case, you get to take the museum home! And you don't even have to go through security!
Susan Tuttle introduces the chapters, and shares the progression of some of her own works. Her essays about her personal journey, and the challenges included near the back of the book, make this a book of rare variety and depth. I love a book that offers more than I expect.
In other news, I've just purchased approximately 7,000 postcards from Vanessa at A Fanciful Twist. I think that girl may just be on to something. Pretty postcards front and back, whimsical drawings and colors galore, and cards with the ability to carry a postage stamp from one place to another. It's GENIUS, I tell you!
And lastly, zip your line over to Carrie's place. That woman has some mean quilted coaster mojo. I can tell you from personal experience (as opposed to long-distance experience) that once you have a quilted coaster, you never go back. The four I already got from her are currently velcroed to my clothing. One time I left the house without them and I dribbled all over myself all day. It was HORRIFYING!
Now that I've told you what to buy and do, I must continue with my tiles, gear up for my guerrilla knit-up installation, and doodle myself a love child. I wish you, my dear reader, a lovely weekend.
16 comments:
You are the bestest in the whole solar system!!!
Oooo, that book!! Must pour over it!!
xoxo
You can't come crying to me anymore that you don't have enough time for blurfing.....look at all you have been up to!! I'm out of breath just reading about all these wonderful things....Susan's book is a gem..I AGREE! The tiles...the postcards....no wonder you need a nap! THE TILES!!!
OMG what an information-filled post. By the way, why did Amazon block you? I used to do book and movie reviews for Amazon.
I don't know why you can't do something in the style of another artist. That is howsome artists develop and hone their skills. Did you know the some European masters were copyists, as an accepted trade? They made copies of another master's painting with slight variations. Of course they sign it with their own name. I am looking forward to your mosaic. I can't do these kinds of projects. Mine will end up looking like one big giant glue clump.
Glad you can't be got by the "Oh you bought my book or took my class Police"...cos the Art Group made you do it! best way to go!
I'm glad you are loving Exhibition 36. Susan did a great job with it!
xoxo
Marie
thanks bunches for both book reviews (added to the ever growing wish list) ... and WOW! a tile swap?!? how flippen cool is that?!? AWESOME, actually. Can't wait to see what you do and what you get ... what a GREAT swap. :)
phew ... I need a nap.
and to get my butt out and put up my knit up ... EEK!
Wow you've got some great reading ahead of you. Our Aussie Judy W is in Susan's book, so I'm looking forward to seeing a copy.
wow - this little lot will keep me going for ages - thanks for sharing :o)
Amazon blocked you - I just know there's a wonderful "Chris" story in there somewhere! LOL
I died laughing at your comment on Lisa's blog about Sister Corita - one of my heros from the '60's, when I was starting to be old enough to question a lot of what the church was telling me. But there was never any question about Corita! Amazing woman.
I've been enjoying Susan's book for awhile now (and it's great!) but will have to check out Laurie's - that icon is stunning! Thanks for all the info - and for being the quirky, highly entertaining art-a-nista that you are!
Erin in Morro Bay
Aha! So that is what you have been up to with all that polymer clay!
Too much fun, my friend. Hope you'll share pics of your creations!
I have neither of these books. Thanks for the recommendations!
I have both of these books and love them as well.
You should be in PR girl!
Hi Chris,
AWESOME post! Love the reviews, and am having to hurry through this, so I can go out and buy the books for myself! Then I have to look at the links you included... so much information, thank you SO much for sharing your wonderful finds with all of us! And thank you for leaving such a kind comment about my little card for Jennifer, I really appreciate it!
Whew! Sounds like I have lots of catching up to do, books! techniques! visiting! Thanks for giving some structure to my Sunday...smooches
don't come crying to me when you get tendinitis from working with the polymer clay.
Anonymous K
So THAT's what you're doing with the coasters! You nutball.
Ok, I went to Twisty's Etsy shoppe and there are too many cute postcards to choose from. Which ones did you get? I think I like the Elfin ones the best. But I haven't looked at all of them yet.
Post a Comment