February 14, 2009

Unbox Your Heart

As you know, from my constant complaining, February has given me very little time to craft so far. But one thing I was able to finish was the place cards I promised to make for the monthly dinner party group, which dinner just happens to fall on Valentine's Day! Because it's someone else's turn, I won't be baking anything, so I thought I'd try to contribute something. But, rather than to just make the standard type of place card, I decided to make them kinda funky.



I took some matchboxes, and painted them up and covered the sides with ribbon so they could be handled. Then I glued some ribbon up the bottom of the trays so the boxes can be pulled open and closed. In the tray, I glittered the sides and then glued down a little red felt flooring. I thought the top needed something. So I cut some black hearts, and made mosaics by cutting up leftover Trader Joe's gift cards.



But something had to be nestled inside, right? So, since I had some painted background papers already prepared for journaling, I used them to create little paper hearts. After gluing them back to back to make them extra strong, I put some shiny surfacing on them, and then affixed a magnet to the back. This really crappy photo I took of them is kinda flat, but that round black thing is the little magnet. So, each matchbox will have three painted hearts, which can be stuck to a fridge, a file cabinet, or the fender of a car!


Don't you love a functional party favor?

Best of Valentine's Days to you, my dear readers. Thank you for your visits and your lovely comments. If I could, I would make you each a little mosaic heart and a shower of flowers.

Now it's time for smooching.

11 comments:

Emily Tellez said...

Wow! These are beautiful. Thanks!!

Ces Adorio said...

Now why is it that the most creative and prolific people always complain that they don't have the time to do anything and then they have these fabulous creations popping out everywhere! Your header is absolutely beautiful and painting those matchboxes, well, I never thought they could be turned into something beautiful.

Unknown said...

Happy Valentine's Day Stalker! Heh, cool site. I love your heart surgery post.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! And will be linking next month. Very creative - especially including the magnets.

lynne h said...

mmmmm... i love these hearts, chris...

happy valentine's day to you! xxoo

rivergardenstudio said...

Happy valentines day to you Chris! Roxanne

Susan Tuttle said...

you are most clever!!

happy heart day!

xo

Anonymous said...

The boxes MUST have chocolate in them.. must.

Leau said...

Well aren't you the guest to invite to anything! How darling these are and I am sure everyone will appreciate them. Hope the party was fun. smooches

3rdEyeMuse said...

OMG! You sooooo ROCK! I've got a bunch of matchboxes all ready for a something (one of the grand Christmas gift ideas that never panned out - mini dressers) and now you've got me wanting to at least give it a try. the ribbon idea is BRILLIANT!

TBM said...

These have got to be the coolest place cards ever! I love the heart magents, clever girl!!

Happy (now belated) Valentine's Day to you and your honey.

XOXO