June 23, 2009
An Original Vision
I won't front with you; I've been struggling with my art.
It seems that everything I do is derivative. I know that's probably not true, but I'm feeling deja-vu, even though I am absolutely certain that I started something from scratch. How can something I started from a blank canvas look like I've already done it?, I ask myself. But it does. This blog break was taken partly to try to work through that. What can I say, except that it hasn't.
I won't belabor that point, because we probably all go through it. But I mention it by way of contrast with the sense I get when I look at this woman's work.
I recently saw this documentary, and I encourage you to watch it, too. I think it's an accompaniment to her huge, expensive, biography in photos. While I'm still saving up for the book, I was happy to be able to see this film. I don't compare my work to hers, because that would be silly. But I use her work and the work of others, among whom are many fellow bloggers, as touchstones.
Rock on, my generous, kind, and talented friends in creativity!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
wow! gr8!!!
I love her work. Have the book, and now Amazon will be sending the film. Thanks for that.
Maybe in this process Chris you really are discovering something new. Even though you feel you are looking at art that seems the same, maybe you need to see how it is different.
Not that I know a thing about art, but it just seems that it is the way it is in life and maybe it is in art too.
Renee xoxo
Rock on!!
I just posted full details about my online class:
http://web.me.com/hgtuttle3rd/VPPublic/Welcome.html
:)
years ago I was lucky enough to be living in Baltimore while her show "Women" was in DC ... awe-inspiring.
touch those touchstones ... often.
Keep the blog break going if you need to. Take the time to sort through this and you will be back, better than ever!
I came here through Renee! I liked the mug shot, thought, I will visit and I stayed. Then followed.
I laughed really loud and it is good.
I would be honored to be in this place with you!
Don't rush this process and don't try to put a time limit on it. You must - and I mean must - let go and go with the flow. All of your "peeps" love you and support your break!
Post a Comment