It's been too many days since my last confession--eh, blog post. And normally, I like to blab at you more often than that, but life has slammed in through the front door and refuses to leave. Which is good, because it usually tips really well. I'm currently revamping my studio and getting things ready for the thrift store and all that sort of thing. So, I must beg your patience, dear reader, if I do not show you process photos of my life-sized replica of the Brandenburg Gate, fashioned from Q-Tips*
*registered trademark
For now, I have a question. What is this?


We found some seeds and we threw them on the ground and this is what happened. It seems like it took about 45 seconds, so this may be what some people call a 'weed'. However, I think it's damn interesting, and there are about a million buds on the thing. So, weed or no, I'm holding it hostage for now.
EDIT: My Lovely friend Leau knew the answer! This sweet bloom is Love In the Mist!!
In addition to this mystery, our garden is offering up the most surprising thing in years. I mean, to me, it's surprising, but to people who go outside regularly, it may not be surprising at all. We got this tiny little pot at the dollar bin at Target (before I stopped buying from the dollar bin at Target), and it was about an inch and a half wide. It started sprouting so we put it in the ground. That was about three months ago.

No one in the world can eat this many tomatoes. I would hazard to say that this many tomatoes could present a health threat under the NIH guidelines.
I'm thinking of putting the 'weed' where the tomatoes are, and see which one wins.
HA! Just kidding, PETWPH!!**
Next Up: Chris finds a tomato in a strange place.
**People For the Ethical Treatment of Weeds, Plants, and Herbs
14 comments:
You know I've been finding a lot of new interesting things growing in our yard too. They've probably been there awhile but now they are tall enough for me to actually see and admire them.
Anonymous K
Can't help you with the identification of your "flower" but I do marvel at the multi-ness of it!!! If it's a weed, then it's a darn fine lookin' one!
I haven't got a clue what the weed/not weed is, but I do think its bloom is pretty amazing ... as or the tomato plant ... 2 words:
salsa
bruchetta (sp?)
... and uber-spouse makes the BEST of both, so let me know if you need some inspiration. :)
Love in a mist...not a song, the name of your weed/flower and even if I didn't have an answer, I would have to leave a comment because the word verification in arsholes!!! And I resemble that remark... and good on ya mate (been watching too many AZ movies lately)for that tomato crop! smooches
I'm probably the only person on the planet who COULD eat all your tomatoes...feel free to send em on across hehe!
I bet you will discover lots of new ways with tomatoes..
Maybe you can find a way to use those tomatoes in your mixed media art???
Oh my gosh - look how thick your garden has become! My plants are still little seedlings. What's up with that? I hope my tomato plants turn out like yours. Evidently you have a green thumb and didn't even know it! :)
Oh my, what a lovely 'weed' indeed ;-) We got one of those dollar pots at Target and we are growing a Christmas tree in our kitchen, tee hee. I can't believe all of that is growing from the dollar bin. Which btw, why don't you shop from there anymore...is there something horrible I missed out on and should not be supporting?
Jamie :)
p.s. Lovely blog you have here...wonderful creations. Can't wait to see what you come up with for Vanessa's Tea party...woo hoo!
Thanks to Leau for identifying the mystery plant as "Love in a mist," which actually sounds like it ought to be some kind of cocktail (roofies and vodka in a spray?) or maybe something diaphanous from Victoria's Secret.
Come to think of it, the thing LOOKS like, given a little time, it might turn into an artichoke. An inedible one, yes, but very prickly nonetheless.
Thanks to your friend Leau! I just planted a bunch of these seeds myself and had forgotten the name! Beautiful little flowers and foliage aren't they?. And, Chris, after they bloom, they form a lovely seed pod about an inch by an inch that is wonderful in dried arrangements. I shook all the seeds out of mine last year and planted this spring because I want more of them for fall arrangements. They just yesterday started peaking through the soil.
don't you LOVE to see how things start popping up all over! Glad you identified the beautiful fast growing buds! AND the butterflies up top...love 'em!
I'm off now to play in the mountains...woo hoo!!
word verification:
ruggratt
!!
*I* could eat that many tomatoes, i swear, chris!!!
you'll have some very cool pods from the love in the mist (also known as nigella) later in the summer. it's one of my most favorite flowers...
thanks for your nice words over at my place. : )
xo
Missy Chrissy,
I love you!
MBW
Post a Comment