December 16, 2009

Family

You know, sometimes it seems that no one is going to really 'get' you the way your family does.

Last night, my brothers and I had a little Christmas celebration over at the local Round Table. This is the pizza joint my brother Raymond loved to visit, before his stroke left him unable to do so any longer. My brothers and I go every year and toast to him and to our mom, who are no longer with us. We also toast to my brother, Ronnie, who lives in Kansas City, and who couldn't be with us for the event.

I thought I'd share a few pictures. I had so much fun with my brothers last night, and I so enjoyed making their annual Christmas cards using family photos, that I wanted to share some pictures I found and digitized to include on the cards.

Here are my brothers Mike and Doug with me out at Doug's home in the desert about four years ago:


And here is a photo from the 60's - my brother Raymond, teaching me how to fly a kite. I was born much later than my brothers were, so Raymond taught me a lot when I was a kid, and was a father figure for me because my father was not around.


And here's a fun picture of my mom, pretending to tackle Mike and Doug in a friendly game of football.


I miss her.

As another year ends, my online presence will go through some changes. I want to thank all of you who have been constant and supportive travelers through my first years as an artist and crafter. You have made a huge difference toward making the journey even more worthwhile.

14 comments:

Kitty said...

It's lovely to read about the family backgrounds of fellow bloggers, and to see pictures is a bonus.

I've been meaning to email you for the longest time, to tell you that the sweets (candy) you asked about last month, are called Maltesers. Round balls of milk chocolate filled with a malty biscuit. I have relatives in the USA who tell me there is nothing like them over there. I'd be happy to send you some to try if you email me your address.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year.

xx

Anonymous said...

luv the pix and the family history!
great to see u w/your peeps ~:-)
happy holidays! luv u,
s

Anonymous said...

I thought getting through our first Thanksgiving without Mom was going to be tough but now I have first Christmas without Mom looming. I'm wearing her Christmas
Tree pin these days to remember her.
Loved the pictures of you and the bros.

Anonymous K

Anonymous said...

What a pleasure to meet your family! They look like fun.

TBM said...

This is a wonderful post, Chris. Thanks for sharing your family with us :-)

XO

Lost Aussie said...

Great post and it was fun to share your pictures. Love your Mom's glasses!

Lorraine said...

great photos so happy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rivergardenstudio said...

Dear Chris... I lov the pictures of you and your brothers so much... I can see so much love and laughter in all of your eyes... but I know the holidays can be sad as well... wistful for those who are gone, and times when you were all together... take care and have a beautiful Christmas... i have loved getting to know you and writing back and forth... roxanne

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these family photos...I love reading of happy family gatherings. You are lucky to have such a great relationship with your brothers.

happy solstice Chris!!
steph

Seth said...

So nice to see these photos and the fun and love captured by them!!

Carrie said...

Oh I love these photos. They're wonderful. I esp. love the one of your bro teaching you to fly a kite. That is like shrine worthy. I mean, who says a shrine has to have a Friday Kahlo or Madonna image in it? Why not a beloved brother?

Linda said...

I LOVE these!!!!!!!!! They are forever keepers. Thank you for sharing, and happy holidays! xoL

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a close family, both here and in the other worlds.
It has been a pleasure to read your posts,
the humor and the relaxed way you have.

o, and scout looks quite happy with herself.