January 11, 2010

Annual Cleaning Weekend

Well, folks, I've done it again. AUGH!

I organized my spare-bedroom studio because it was driving me nuts. Here are some photos of it as it was, when it did more to keep me from getting anything done than it did to foster creativity:


That half-finished shelving in the middle of the room? So nice, don't you think?

The long table was totally covered with STUFF and couldn't be used for working.

I had five (5) copy paper box lids filled with little bits of supplies thrown in as I was progressing through projects and didn't take the time to find a place for everything and everything in its place. There were grocery bags filled with doo-dads and bits and doodles; there was a sewing machine on the dining table.

Stuff taken out of the spare bedroom and put in the living room to sort.


Scout can't figure out why there isn't one dog toy or biscuit amid all this people stuff.

The impetus for my spontaneous revamp was that as Scout and I were taking our morning walk, we happened upon a yard sale. I don't often stop at yard sales because I know I'll just get more of what I already have and can't find room for. However... I saw a table that looked to be the perfect height for standing up to work when my back becomes stiff and sore from sitting in the same place for too long. I saw it, I bought it, and because it wouldn't fit in my truck, I rolled it on a pallet dolly all the way around the block and up the driveway incline to my front yard. The porch stairs navigation was FUN! I must do it AGAIN...sometime.

And here is the studio now. I still have to paint my bookshelves, make uniform pretty labels (to replace the yellow stickies I've scribbled on for now), and various other neatening activities. In fact, I'll probably bore you with more photos later, when it's just how I want it. I'm going to be removing the closet doors and hanging damask curtains instead. The walls could use a paint job, for sure. But I feel so relieved now. Even though there is a lot of STUFF, I know where it is now. I haven't lost anything. And I don't have to hurt myself trying to get to it. I thought I would going to scream with frustration during the work, but now I'm so glad I got it done.

It's not one of those fabulous studios I've seen in magazines, but it's going to work perfectly for my upcoming year!


The new standing table is a diaper-changing table, which is why the straps are hanging there. I have to unscrew them from underneath and take them off. When I get my strength back. But isn't it cool, to find something that's perfect, and someone else was just going to throw it out?!

I hope everyone's 2010 is beginning well. Thank you for being faithful and supportive readers.


Next up: Chris gets a lying-down table.

13 comments:

TBM said...

Well done! You've inspired me to muck out my studio now.

That is a good idea about using the diaper changing table as a stand up art table. And, well, I was totally drooling over your bin of cigar boxes. Good stuff there in your art room.

Diane Gilleland said...

Wowee, that's a good-sized project! The newly-organized space looks great - very inviting for creative playtime.

Congrats! I know this has got to be a great feeling!

But please do add some doggie treats in there.

Dianne said...

oh, I so need to do this...congrats on the transformation! now you can create to your heart's content...

Unknown said...

WoW Chris...whata change : )

somepinkflowers said...

wowowowo you did so good!

please pop in
and help me
clean my space.

:-)

i need the help.



PS---bring the puppy.

Anonymous said...

As a person without children, when I see a table with straps attached, changing diapers is not the first thing that comes to my mind. Although I can see how it'd come in handy to restrain Scout when she's being togged out in the latest seasonal outfit.

rivergardenstudio said...

This is very fabulous! I love your new art table, and I bet you found tons of great stuff that you forgot about when you were organizing. I work at an old tool chest that I had in my art room at my last job. It is the perfect height for standing. And it is red! I have to photograph it sometime.
Your studio looks great! roxanne

Anonymous said...

wow, what a transformation.

I ve done that too, and the sorting just about drives you mad.

now you can see everything..and now you dont wanna work in it in case you make a mess??
oh and stuff those designer "my studio's so gorgeous" studios. They look like they've never been touched.

Seth said...

Incredible job. Your "new" studio is mighty well organized!!

Marilyn said...

Love your blog! The pictures of the dog complete with captions (thoughts) are a hoot! You have a great sense of humor. I hopped over from Michelle's "Street Team" blog. Keep up the good work and the irresistable patter!!

Mona said...

You studio looks great! I am envious... Thank you for your feedback on Michelle's challenge. I made the paper bag journal following Judy Wise's inctructions on her blog:
http://judywise.blogspot.com/2007/11/more-stuff.html Take care! Mona

urban craft said...

oh, I envy your organizational skills. I don't have as much stuff but I was looking at my box of materials, felt, thread, etc and thought, "I really should untangle these things one day."

pam said...

Don't you just LOVE having a place for everything and everything in it's place! I try to bring my craft world into a place of great organization at least once a year! I am terrible about keeping it that way and slowly things get stuck here and there in my haste to begin another project! And then I get so grouchy when i can't find what I need at any given moment.

What a fabulous find - the "standing room only" crafty work surface! You are going to thank yourself 1,000 times for whatever challenges you went through to get it in the house! A standing work surface would be a great thing for anyone who spends way too much time sitting at the computer or craft table!!! Bravo you!