March 31, 2010

Local Talent

A couple of weeks ago, we went to our favorite local cafe for one of their special dinner events. The Peach Cafe is only open for dinner on Fridays and on occasions when they serve a special menu. That night I had tilapia in a lemon garlic sauce with capers. It was amazingly good! I almost didn't even think about my usual breakfast order of chocolate croissant pancakes!

The photos I took that evening were not very good, but I've decided to share them anyway. I love the comfortable neighborhood feel of this cafe. I especially like it that the owner likes to feature the work of a local artist, who creates large mixed media pieces.

This is one of the pieces that greet you as you enter the cafe through the small outdoor seating area. It's really lovely, with ferns and bouganvillia surrounding everyone dining 'al fresco'.

This piece is on the opposite side.


I love this blue piece inside the cafe, which has the open brick throughout the dining room.


The cases are filled with cakes, cupcakes, pies and cookies made by an independent local baker. My favorite are the red velvet cupcakes filled and frosted with cream cheese frosting.

And here is a not very good photo of a great colorful piece incorporating dishes and flatware. I always re-examine this while waiting to pay our check.

Unique local cafes are real treasures. They stay in our lives in ways big impersonal chain restaurants just can't. If you have any favorite haunts, I'd love to hear about them.

And thank you, as always, for your supportive comments about my latest artistic forays!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes,

the local cafe that is cool is a rare and

dying breed.

I support them, and they usually love local artists..

TBM said...

I love (and miss) places like these. There were a few cafes like this in our old neighbourhood in Houston. We loved going there for breakfast. Thanks for sharing this one with us!

And now, I'm hungry for migas and coffee...

Anonymous said...

oh yes...local cafe's are what make the world go round. I am happy that we have a few.

I ADORE that totem of colorful dishware...fab!!

x..x

Anonymous said...

Where's my red velvet cupcake with cream cheese filling and frosting?

Anonymous K

Leslie said...

I love places like this. Just the bricks on the walls indicate that it is good. Add the artwork, and you know it's a winner! Love your photos too.

There was a place in Port Townsend called the Undertown where Jesse Reno and his band performed last week. They also displayed his artwork on their brick walls. I'll post some photos if I can get them together.