May 28, 2008

A Colossus Cast



This is my fourth entry today. I don't know what's happening. I just keep thinking of things to tell you two.


I was motivated to look up the definition of a Rhodes Scholar. I found out that Rachel Maddow, woman of mystery, who I am coincidentally stalking, is a Rhodes Scholar. I assumed that meant she went to a JC in Rhode Island. Turns out: no.


Do you know about Rhodes Scholarship? I couldn't BELIEVE it! I called the local research librarian and asked her if they were kidding. And she's apparently in on this, because she said, 'No. They aren't kidding.'


Here's the deal. This guy named Rhodes decided to give qualified people some choice education at Oxford University. I asked the librarian, what the heck qualifies people to go all the way over there and wear those shirts with the pointy collars, without even paying anything? And she said, 'here. Here's some info from Wikipedia, my choice and yours for information.' Which, of course, means she just couldn't wait to stop talking to me and get off the phone.



"Standards
Rhodes' legacy specified four standards by which applicants were to be judged:
literary and scholastic attainments;
energy to use one's talents to the full, as exemplified by fondness for and success in sports;
truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship;
moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one's fellow beings.


This legacy originally provided for scholarships for the British colonies, the United States, and Germany. These three were chosen so that "an understanding between the three great powers will render war impossible."
Rhodes, who attended Oxford University, chose his alma mater as the site of his great experiment because he believed its
residential colleges provided the ideal environment for intellectual contemplation and personal development."



This is RIDICULOUS! How can anyone live up to this? There's 4,000 of these people, getting free trips to Oxford! Robert Penn Warren was one, and Bill Clinton, and Charlie Parker, the guy with the pens. I mean, unless they're lying, and nobody checked. I don't have this kind of character!! And sports? Really? Every time I try to throw a baseball it lands behind me!
I just read the entire entry. They actually have a picture of me as an example of the exact opposite of a Rhodes Scholar.

You know, for clarity.





No comments: