
I never realized it before, but Maui has some great stage shows.
It's a gorgeous day out. It's about 100 degrees, but the day has been good. I'm finally getting a day to breathe. My first week at work after the trip was very stressful. I didn't even have time or energy left after work to craft. In fact, I went into the office for a while this morning in an effort to staunch the bleeding that's inevitable tomorrow, before it even occurs. There's just a lot to do.
However, it doesn't matter right now because I'm relaxing.
We just saw Iron Man, and it was really a lot of fun, mostly because of Robert Downey, Jr. I'm convinced that guy can play anything. I actually look forward to sequels, even though there is always the requisite silliness and illogic in hero movies. Isn't that what comic book adventure stories require? I have a different standard for these. Usually, when I can predict what's going to happen it detracts from my enjoyment of a movie, but for a movie like this, knowing the requirements of the plot and then seeing them realized lends a certain feeling of justification. Not like real-life, messy, relationships! People may disappoint, but genre films are made to justify!

Have you read the latest issue of Somerset Studio? Say what you will, this semi-monthly publication provides a great service. They showcase, enlighten and teach, as well as inspire. It's kind of a shot in the arm for my creative soul. I would estimate that half of my artistic life is spent as student and spectator. The realization of my creative efforts represents the other half. I really think community is important, which is a new concept for me. I've always written on an island, believing that influences from outside could only get in the way of the 'purity' of my artistic expression. Now I see this as pretty foolish. Some people may be successful that way, but I think most of us are inspired and taught by others who are challenging themselves and who have fresh perspectives to bring to our own experiences in life.
If you get a chance to read this Somerset Studio, make a point of reading editor Jenny Doh's Editor's letter. She talks about how even those of us who suffer abuse, heartbreak, or neglect by our loved ones still yearn for them all their lives. She cites a specific example that's so touching I will never forget it. It put me in recognition of how my own craving for the very things which wounded me could mean my self-destruction.
Which reminds me: time for a few peanut butter cookies.
Next up: Chris tells a funny, funny story about the flight home from Maui.
1 comment:
I hope to God and Kali-ma! you didn't fly Northworst.
Post a Comment