Next Up: Chris carefully draws postage on her bill payments and mails them out.
Oh, hold on. I'm not done with this post. I got confused because of that tedious and uninteresting start, and I thought it was mercifully over.
But what I really want to share with you was some MORE MAIL ART! Yes! I got more!!
It was wonderful! I came home from work and I found a very prettily-wrapped package, featuring this gorgeous double-sided postcard from two of Julie's painted surfaces sewn back-to-back.

I love her colors and layers, her stenciling and masks, and that sweet little bird (she knows I love birdies). And, as you can see, she sent to me one of her favorite journaling pens! She knew I needed one! And now I have one! Oh, dear readers... SEE what a little begging can do?!

Of course, it was out of the generosity of her heart that Julie gifted me and honored me with some of her cool painting, more of which you can see on her site, in her Etsy shop, and today, over at Cat's Cupboard in San Diego. She's selling her journals, and I tell you what: they change EVERYTHING!**
I thank Julie, a gentlewoman and artist, for taking a casual remark in an email, noting it, remembering it, responding kindly, and surprising me so delightfully.
Now for some flora. As you can see by my banner, I got my first daffodils of the season. If these were people, I would allow them to support me for the rest of their lives. Which, in their case, is about a week. But in addition to all that yellow love, look at this bloomer which greets me every day now:

And as mentioned in a previous post, the jasmine out on our back deck started to bloom a couple of weeks ago. Well, here it is four days ago.

And here it is now:

If you can imagine this translated into sweet scentage, that's what's happening outside our french doors. But it's okay. We do have a License to Jasmine. (And it cost a pretty penny, let me tell you.)
Soon, there will be an unveiling of my latest swap project, inchies for the wenchies. For now, I must go scrape alcohol ink off a few of our coffee mugs.
**although, I do still struggle with the i before e thing.
22 comments:
Hi friend!! Happy Springie Saturday!!
Oh a and art card with a bird, and a pen too doodle too??? Yuumyyy!
Daffodils bring such joy and jasmine, ooolala, I love it - mine got so heavy over my arbor in the courtyard entrance at my house in town, that my dad visited & hacked a bunch off... I LOVE yours! ;) I LOVE jasmine! xoxo
Wow...you're Jasmine is gorgeous...the scent has to be out of this world! :-) Susan
I was so happy to send you that art, Chris..you are such a great friend...and I can't thnk you enough for your support...thank you for everything...all of the emails...blog love...tweets...you're the BEST!
I think those license to jasmine are illegal in the desert, but I am applying for one tomorrow...cost be damned! Beautiful images. And since we will be in the same class, you can copy from my paper only if I can borrow your notes! smooches
what wonderful mail love you have going on ... doesn't it make you feel like you could simply float?!? :)
I used to live not far from a field that every spring would become overrun with wild daffodils ... sometimes I still dream of walking through it and picking bunches for my mom ... *sighs* ... love the bursting of jasmine and wish it were just off my patio! :)
Hi Chris! I'm back. Back in my own bed. That's what I missed the most and our puppy, Daisy.
The jasmine is called "Sampaguita" in the Philippines, it is the national flower. The scent is overpowering. They use the flowers for leis by carefully stringing each litlle bud or bloom. That's what the people in the island where I was born used to do until they decided that plastic leis made in China were cheap and abundant.
I love flowers, especially the ones on the flower beds. I love all kinds of flowers even weed flowers.
As for your witty writing style, I am your number one fan.
great pics..well I am my sons have been handing out daffodil badges all day filling the world (or Liverpool)!! with colour
Ow, those flowers are hurting me. They're so gorgeous. It is so brown here right now...Garrison Keillor on PHC this weekend was saying that March in Minnesota is for people who've never experienced what a hangover feels like. Yeah, it's that ugly. WAh. I remember the jasmine, the deep scent of loveliness, those little star-shaped flowers. Ah, California, I miss you.
So, cool mail art! Lucky!! I must ask, what is that cool pen? I am always in search of the perfect opaque white pen that is not toxic and doesn't require me to shake until my arm falls off every time I use it. Could this be it???
Word verification: houskna. Sounds like a sneeze noise.
By the way, that was not a boring start. The witty funny part was "there is only the me." THE ME. That is so cute. It reminds me of Austin Powers, "Allow myself to introduce...myself." That always killed me.
Not a weirdo at all for driving along the 18.2 mile stretch of Interstate 10 because it is the quickest way from Texas to Baton Rouge, Lousiana. I know you will love it. The first time we drove through the Atchafalaya Swamp Freeway, I told my husband that I felt we were driving through a sacred place. It was so eeire seeing the tree stumps. It's an ecological structure, a highway system that provides for undisturbed marine and plant life under the bridge. This stretch of the freeway always prompt us to talk about President Eisenhower and I give my thanks in remembrance to him for initiating the highway system.
What a great gift to receive from Julie. Isn't her artwork the best?!
Really fabulous pics... such lovely spring flowers!
Thanks so much for coming to visit me at my Blog and for your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Gaby xo
I think this is my first visit to your blog. I followed a link from Seth's blog and I'm so glad I did.
Julie's mail art is the best. ♥
Great blog, I will be back!
Namasté,
Carmen
Don't you just love daffodils? There is something so inherently ... cheerful about them. They couldn't be sad if they tried.
I don't have an iPod ... do you think I'm seriously disadvantaged in life? Mind you, neither do I have a dog to walk whilst I listen to my non-existent iPod. So maybe that's ok.
x
I can only imagine the heavenly scent from your jasmine .. Ohhh I can't wait for my flowers to bloom too... first they have to come out from under the snow!!!
and your daffodils are marvelous!!
Good grief, what beautiful flowers, generous friends, and wonderful art you are up to these days. Life is good :-)
Beautiful flora!
gorgeous flowers Chris! I bet scent is terrific. Thank you for stopping by and making me laugh as usual. I love your sense of humor.
Only crocus blooming around here these days, although, the daffodils are pretty darn close to showing their sunny faces. I can hardly wait, but it still seems a bit chilly here.
How lucky to get mail art from Julie. I only recently discovered her -- not sure what I was doing -- and I love her work. I'm drooling over those journals, and marking my calendar for her online class.
Best to you my clever friend.
Such beautiful flowers!
Such beautiful flowers!
love the jasmine - wish that I could smell it from here! and the artmail - I love how your friend creates art out of another everyday object and then resends it - that is just soooo good... and thanks for the comments about my chickies - I am now making some that are like loopy/furry knit stitches - and I am totally mesmerized by the time swallowing excitement of it all!!
Post a Comment