As you probably know, Michelle Ward has been a huge influence on my creative process for the past couple of years. Recently, JeriAnn, Julie, and Lisa asked for contributions to a project for Michelle, to honor her sister Shannon on the anniversary of her passing from cystic fibrosis.
It's odd how being asked to collaborate on a certain project feels like being given a gift.
Now that the collaborative journal is no longer a secret, and has been tirelessly bound and presented to Michelle by the hosts, many of us who contributed are sharing our pages with readers.
My page was created from a puffy mailing envelope. One of the things I love about Michelle is how she encourages artists to random acts of kindness (RAK), including sending mailart to one another. It supports and unites us in our efforts to grow in our creativity, and to share inspiration along the line.
Understanding from her writings that Michelle has been feeling and receiving evidences of Shannon's continuing presence in her life, I wanted to present my page as a piece of mail art, incorporating images of their sisterhood and symbols of Shannon's presence in Michelle's heart. I had only the photos Michelle has shared on her blog, so I took the liberty of using them as tiny talismans tucked into secret pockets around the envelope. You may be able to see the bits of stamps and stickers disappearing under these little slots cut into the envelope.


On the back, over my 'postmark' (which is placed in a niche for the purpose), four of the tucked images can be taken from their pockets and fitted together to reveal a happy moment between Shannon and Michelle.
It was an honor to be included in this project. I thank Lisa and Julie and JeriAnn for the privilege. Please follow this link to see the great contributions to the entire project, lovingly posted by Julie on Flickr.
And RAK someone soon. Aren't we all are touched by a surprise in the mail?
19 comments:
good!!!
Very unique blog.
Fantastic pictures. Wow...
I like your blog.
Please visit:
http://baliholiday-view.blogspot.com
Keep blogging.
Have a nice day.
Unique! visit my blog k!
That is just lovely, Chris. I am sure Michelle was very touched!
What a wonderful thing to do. Love your contributions.
I think your contribution is beautiful and so thoughtful. I love how the pictures come together to form a special moment.
A wonderful tribute indeed!
Wow, you are a much sweeter person than I ever suspected but I love you anyway.
Anonymous K
I am loving your doodles too! and your page for Michelle came out beautifully, I know she will love this book.
So gorgeous, as are your doodles. What a good egg you are! smooches
What a great idea! So lovely and charming!
please excuse me while I race over to see all the wonder ...
... oh! and I LOVE how thoughtful your contribution is ... this whole project is very, very moving.
Chris- thank you SO MUCH for participating in the collaboration...it really means a lot!
Chris....what a wonderful project...such a very sweet secret for Michelle.
Tremendous page Chris! I can see you put so much effort, time, and caring into its creation. Great job. I bet Michelle loved it!!
Wow. Wonderful work you (and all) have done here! Thank you for sharing.
Makes me want to cry, and has me wishin' I was a craft(art)ist so that I could RAK you back.
Hugs.
chris, this is nice! NICE!! very smile making!! xo
What a beautiful and meaningful page Chris! the book is incredible. I know she'll treasure it forever!
chris - thank you for this very special page in the very special book. i was blown away by all the lovely art and the heartfelt thoughts that went into it. as you know i took the book home for my family to see last week and mom's favorite page was yours - with all the photo charms you inserted. so glad you were in on it, xo.
This is spectacular...I am sure Michelle was touched deeply...Both of you are very special people...:)
Post a Comment