July 9, 2009

Where the Heck Have I Been?!

No, seriously.

Where've I been?

1) At the movies, eating four large, refillable popcorns and drinking four large, refillable sodas.

2) At the basketball game, screaming like an idiot and getting stared at, which makes me feel silly but I can't help myself.

3) Reading. Everything.

4) To the desert to see my brother, who lives in the desert in a house with air conditioning, in the desert.

5) Watching documentaries about the space program, the human body, and 1000 Journals.

6) Looking at my studio, then leaving the room and coloring in front of the television.

7) Starting my visual journal.

8) Learning to doodle.

9) Using Luminarte products for the first time.

10) Visiting someone who has lots of art books and who lets me borrow them.

11) Harvesting tomatoes off our one tomato plant, which has exploded with fruit and screams at me constantly.

12) Buying this: from Seth.

13) Getting enough sleep.


Where have I NOT been?

1) Taking pictures of my doodles and my journal pages.

2) Writing.

3) Blurfing.

4) Spending lots of money.

5) Obsessing about things.


So far, this has been a peaceful summer. And it's nice, because my word for this year is Peace. Not in the global sense, but in the sense of my being less self-judgmental and less focused on 'keeping up'. And I'm liking that I'm finally cracking into the journal I constructed several months ago. I used to journal constantly. Writing writing writing, in manufactured journals which already contained design and imagery put there by other people. There's nothing at all 'wrong' with that, but I'm loving laying down marks, designs, and images onto surfaces I've created, and then writing all over them, and even obscuring them, if I want to. This is new for me.

Anyway, enough about me. Thank YOU, kind friends, for visiting. I am off to visit you and to lust after so many beautiful things that proliferate from your minds and hands faster than the tomatoes on my burgeoning tomato plant. I always look forward to seeing it all.

16 comments:

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Loved this post, Chris! You have a great gift of gab...I meaning writing! I had to laugh as I related with much of what you posted. Keep up the PEACEful summer. Sounds fantastic!

Anonymous said...

My tree is back and looking fabulous! I need some of your tomatoes to make a tomato pie.
Can you bring me some on the 25th?

Anonymous K

Anonymous said...

I don't know how the story ends, because I got to "I am off to visit you and to lust after" and my brain just went right off the road and off somewhere into the weeds, yelling "Woo hoo!!!"

Leau said...

welcome back...all good summery things to partake in and read about...peace out and smooches

3rdEyeMuse said...

dang ... I thought it was a multiple choice question and I could answer "all of the above", but no ... it was you being all literal (cuz THAT happens so often) ... ah well ... I have to admit that it sounds like you have been busy with the good side of life. :)

glad you popped in for a hello!

Seth said...

Sounds like a perfect summer to me so far! Love the banner too!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a perfect summer to me!

before I hit the comment I saw that Seth said this same thing...well, it is.

Margaret Ann said...

Global peace starts with peace within...You have made great strides here...there is joy in your writing...:)

Marie S said...

I have missed you! To let you know how much, I have something for you. It is on my blog please come see.

Lady P said...

i think it is wonderful to embrace summer the way i remember doing so when i was a kid - doing just whatever you wanted and not having to justify that to anyone
Peace
it sounds REALLY good to me
thanks for dropping by once again
(what is blurfing? is that blog surfing? hehe)

notmassproduced said...

thi smade me smile

TBM said...

I am so glad your are taking time for yourself, Chris! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Yay for you :-)

Susan Tuttle said...

you are doing all the right things! -- what a blast you have been having -- summer!!!!

:)

Leslie said...

I think it's important to take time to do things like this, and congratulations on your journaling. I keep trying to get started, really I do, but it just never seems to happen for long. I'm currently doing a Soul Journaling prompt thing, and I'm four days behind. It's day 5.

Anonymous said...

mwahhhh

That is such a soft cute post..
I so know the staring at the studio then working in front of the Tv thing...

pam said...

Sounds as if you are having the PERFECT summer so far!

That comment about standing at the door of your studio and then sitting in front of the TV coloring - exactly describes how I feel sometimes - exactly!

I love the oak tree image. To my eyes, oak trees - summer or winter- silhouetted by the setting or rising sun are completely captivating.