January 28, 2010

Tryin to Keep Up

Okay, have you got someone who just seems to inspire you all of the time? Not just once in awhile, when you happen to be on the same wavelength, but, constantly? Even when you're working on one thing, that person inspires you to work on something else right away?!

Well, I have a person like that. And I suppose I've mentioned her about a gazillion times, here, but I'm going to mention her again: Diane Gilleland of Craftypod fame. She not only showcases a gigabyte of other DIYers' goods and services, she also brings in her unique genius and shares it with you, right there on her site!

Some of the tiles I fashioned of late zipped over to Diane. Just because I appreciate everything she does all the time, and also because I know she doesn't work with tiles and she's got very limited space in her house for a bunch of unsolicited stuff she doesn't use. I'm a giver that way.

Anyway, so, rather than to tell me, 'eh, thanks for the, eh...tiles?' she said, in that excited way she has, 'I'm thinking: book covers!'

Photo by Diane Gilleland

Can you BELIEVE that kind of mind? It's bad enough that she's good at everything, but now she's going to come up with new ideas for something she doesn't even work with!


But the best thing about this whole inspiration thingie is this: Diane comes up with ideas like felted valentine sachets and plastic canvas boxes and pendants made from sprinkler heads, and book covers made from clay tiles, and THAT just gets ME thinking my OWN ideas! Like, using the clay tiles as buttons, or as tags. Why not? I'm sure other people have made clay buttons, but I hadn't even thought of it! Not until Diane's natural enthusiasm and entrepreneurial mind got hold of the clay-tile-as-launch-pad concept.

photo by Diane Gilleland
Yes. She inspires me.

But I'm thinking it will be a long time before I send her anything else.

I'm pretty tired right now from all this inspiration.


photo by Diane Gilleland



Next up: Not to be outdone, Chris makes polymer clay buttonholes.

2 comments:

pam said...

Well done Chris! I always love reading praise for Diane's abilities and super creative mind!!!!

One of the questions asked during the podcast interview was what it is like having such a person as a daughter. So now that she is not moderating my comments - in a word - HUMBLING!

Yes! Buttons! Great idea! Get right to it!

I have been thinking the same thing! It is amazing how durable this material actually is - polymer clay. I've had mushrooms I made from it out in the yard now for two years through rain, ice and freezing temperatures and they are as lovely and fresh as the day they were "baked". So I really think buttons would hold up well. (Maybe I should run a couple 'shrooms through the washing machine and see how that works out first!)

Diane Gilleland said...

Heh - my Mom beat me to commenting! :-)

Wow, this post made me so happy, Chris. Thank you indeed. I love nothing better than sharing with the craft community, and knowing so many wonderful people like yourself. And the aforementioned Mom. :-)

Thank you so much for making my Friday! And for the book inspiration! I had a good idea for a binding scheme in the shower today.

XOXO!