February 22, 2008

Eclipsed by the Moon

There was a total lunar eclipse the other night. The event is etched in my brain. Not just because I took memorable photos, but because, I was sitting there with Cathie and I was saying,

"Wow, my back is really bothering me right now! I don't know what it is. Maybe I did something differently? Maybe I picked up something that was too heavy? Maybe I twisted wrong or exerted myself too much? Maybe I have a major disease, like vertebrae-itis? Maybe I have cancer! Maybe you should give me a back rub! Maybe I should go to a spa? Maybe a week of massages would help? OW! My back is really bugging me right now!!"

And Cathie jumped up and said, 'HEY! It's almost 7! Time for the lunar eclipse!!' and went out to the front lawn.


Okay, well. I was silly enough to think I could capture it on film with my little camera. I would have taken the bigger camera, but my back was really bothering me that night.

It's not a bad image! It reminds me of the moment. And isn't that usually the purpose of snapshots?


















Here's a diagram from Nasa. If you haven't perused their website, go over there when you have a little while to just browse and navigate through images. For some reason, they really get serious about their images. They spent a lot more money on their cameras, and they obviously have nothing better to do. Or maybe they figure it's easier to remember everything if you take pictures. I don't know. They're geeks, who knows what's going on in their minds?





I'm off to Vegas for the weekend. I don't gamble, but I do frolic! And this time, I'm breaking in my new art-on-the-go kit. You can read about that here.

I'm going to whip up some ATCs and work on a small travel journal I got at Target. The pages are heavy, the format is big but not too big to be portable, and I'm not afraid to mess it up because it's not a precious looking journal that can't be played with! So, I'll bring it home and take pictures of the finished pages. Or even, the pages in progress.

Or, just the blank book, with no art in it at all.

I mean, I'm going to Vegas. There's going to be vodka.

2 comments:

girlgonethreadwild said...

Thank you for blogging this event, I'm all over the net enjoying the images...didn't get to have a clear shot here that night.

Hope that back is better, but yes! pain is better handled when served a drink. ;) ~Monica

Anonymous said...

'Way back when people still had Polaroid cameras, a friend and I were fooling around with one (OUTDOORS, stay on track here) and, the moon being full, I took a picture of it. Didn't come out. Roberta looked at it and said dryly, "You should have used a flash."