It kind of freaks me out, really. It upsets me.
I get ANGRY about it.
Anyway, lately, I've been taking things out of the trash. It drives my partner crazy. I mean, I don't go rooting through the trash containers, but if there's a tray or a clean-looking box or a perfectly good water bottle sitting up near the top, I'll grab it and put it in a bag. I realize that I'm one grab away from bubonic plague, but I'm compelled. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF.
So, we end up walking around the fair or the arena with me holding a big box that use to have cups in it. Or a huge bottle that had water in it. I wanted to get one of those wheelbarrows you always see in those commercials? The one that picks up the recyclables out of the trash and then wheels itself along for you? I mean, those things look so cool, don't they?
But, don't get me started on the wheelbarrows.
Anyway, now people are bringing me things. I'm glad they are. At work, I'm constantly asked if I want an empty box, empty bottles, empty bags that are perfectly dry and clean, and now, I'm accumulating a big stack of coffee carriers.
And there's something about them.
I haven't recycled them, because they are
just
bizarre
enough
to alter into something magnificent.

But for the life of me, I can't think of what that would be.
If you have any ideas, let me know.
And don't forget to save your carriers for me.
8 comments:
I know you may find it hard to belive but the trash companies really do havepeople who go through the trash and pull out anything that can be recycled. First off all trash companies are charged a fee for how much they bring to the dump so they want to keep their costs down by bringing in as little as possible. Also they get money back by taking things to recycling centers. So strange as it may seem it's cheaper to hire people to go through the trash than to take it all straight to the dump.
I'm really happy that this is so, Anonymous!
I also wonder how a person could know this much about their garbage!
Thanks for the info.
I guess I won't pick out any more trays at dodger stadium, then.
Well I have a suggestion for, but must warn you that I don't really know what I am talking about... Huh, you ask? They look like they would be great for making artist paper-the colour and texture of them. However, I have never made paper so I am unsure if they would really work or not. But I can just imagine they would be lovely and absorbent to work on.
HAHAHAHAHA! This reminds me of the two years I spent saving toilet paper and paper towel rolls. I had big boxes of them. Never did come up with any suitable project ideas.
My hat's off to you in your quest for drink-tray-art!
My gawd, think of how much money you could make by reselling your drink-tray-art back to the vendors who gave them away for free.
Paint 'em with pretty colors and witty phrases, then shellac 'em and stack 'em for sale on Amazon or Borders. And don't forget to give a few away, to those of us who would love to market this trend for you during our next treck into Starbucks.
Bottoms up!
YES! this is YOU! I have crossed Ur blog before but who knows why we remember the blog name over the artists actual name? well, alas I linked you, I won't lose you again. ;)
Hey, during fishing trips with my husband we have been known to pick up trash left behind...it's invigorating! I feel like I am making the world a BETTER place by doing this. You are too!
Now, I have a friend who opts for rusted objects (turned into trash art). Another, who turns dried natural objects into spirit dolls. I, myself, opt for fabric trash- last bit of thread on the spool, torn shirt, scraps of cloth & shredded yarn.
but, this works too! Boy, "umweltverschmutzung" is right up your alley! run over these soda trays with your car tires till FLAT as a pancake. Stitch to a canvas and have fun Chris. I want to see it when finished. YOU inspire! ~Monica :)
oh ya, you asked if I'm german... I spent 12 years in Germany, brought home the ultimate souvenir too- my German husband of 14 years. das leben ist gut
~Monica ;)
Oooh, I like the running over them with a car idea. Very much. But maybe that's just because I'm PMS'ing right now and want violence. I need to go watch a Bruce Willis movie or something. Or I could find something to run over in my car.
Post a Comment