May 1, 2008

My Lonely Island



I love Fendi handbags. I also love Roger Vivier handbags, but his site is under construction, so I can only show you a snippet. Anyway, I have no chance of ever getting one of these handbags, but my clutch must exceed my grasp, or what's a handbag for?

Basically, I'm all up in the handbags, right now, mostly other people's.

Well, I haven't made a damn thing to show you people, but I WILL share with you that I am really excited about the boxes I got from Barnes and Noble yesterday. They just keep sending me stuff! That is so cool.

I got this great book with a title that escapes me now, but it’s a graphic novel, written by Howard Zinn, about the history of the American Empire, and it’s so cool. I told a few friends about it and showed it to my partner and they ALL had the same reaction:

Why would you want to read something that depressing?

I also got Per Petterson’s Out Stealing Horses, and Diablo Cody's Candy Girl: A Year In the Life of an Unlikely Stripper, and I was talking with my friend Jeanette about which book I should take to Maui with me. And she said: "For a week at the beach, you should definitely bring the grim Norwegian tale of a hermit and the injured wolf that he takes in and nurses back to health but who kills him at the end. Uh oh, spoiler alert!"

This is what I’m faced with. People who don’t understand my interests. War, sex, and fjords. What’s the problem?

So, I’m just going to take my art journal to the beach and write out my loneliness and ostracism while I’m watching people contracting melanoma and coughing up the ocean’s salty brine, appearing to have much more fun than I, a complete outcast, am having.

I’m so EXCITED!!!

Here in Los Angeles, we had a cold day yesterday, so today will be hot. Then tomorrow it will rain, and Saturday I’ll have to peel myself off the scorched pavement.

I almost don’t want to leave town!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you actually got a book I want to read. No not that one the other one. Out Stealing Horses is on my list so please take it to Maui and read it. I expect it to be turned over to me on May 31st at the dinner party.

Anonymous said...

That fuzzy white thing in the photo with your beer and cell phone is a Fendi handbag? Awesome, I thought it was a cat! Where's the handle? Man, I bet you hear some shrieks of outrage and dismay when you start rummaging around in that thing for your ATM card at the supermarket.

Lisa MB said...

OMG. Can I be in line behind you at the supermarket when you dig into the cat for change?

That is, in fact, how I watch tv. Splayed everywhere, beers at the ready, fur blending into the couch.

Thanks for the wonderful comment on my story, on this month's Gypsy Bonfire. Now that I've taken a look at how you roll, I'll have to put you on my blog reader list. This will be excellent.