
I've been reading this the past few days. Like the other Artful Blogging issues I've read, it's both fascinating and inspiring. Even educational. Filled with major eye candy! I love that so many people are so creative, passionate, productive, open, brave, and funny. These past (almost) two years have been exhilerating, and I've met a lot of really cool people. It's been scary, fun, frustrating, and enriching.
Which is all anyone can ask of anything that doesn't even involve a tip jar.
Something I've noticed after reading three issues of Artful Blogging, is that, many bloggers talk about measuring themselves by the number of comments they get on their blog. They mention checking the blog regularly for new comments. They mention keeping track of comment frequency. They talk about always responding to comments, so that they will be likely to get more comments.
Then they talk about how freeing it is when they realize that it's not about the comments. It's about creating, sharing, growing, and leaving evidence of being here. And when they can let go of worrying about comments, they can love how the blog enriches their lives. And I can see that, and I aspire to that, even if I'm not quite there, yet.
The blogosphere is filled with a lot of creative, sensitive people who, like any creative artists (writers, musicians, actors, or anyone who has the desire to perform), have a varying degree of the need to know that they are being heard. It's a two-way communication station. And it can feel like rejection when it seems that no one is on the other end.
The other day, I asked my brother what he thought of a picture I'd put on my blog a couple of weeks earlier. He told me he hadn't read my blog. My own brother! Not interested!! It took me a few minutes to realize that I was taking it too personally. If this blogging thing were easy, everyone would be doing it. It's not only not easy in this era of too-many-things-going-on, to find the time it takes to keep a continuity to your blog, it's also not easy to put yourself out there on a virtual world stage. We don't know if anyone is really there on the other end of the line. It's fun, it's an exploration, and it's a documentation, but it's also a brave thing to do. And I'm not a very brave person, in general.
My kudos to the Stampington people, who've given us a great publication, a chronicle, and a resource for finding new artists and kindred spirits. And brave hearts.
8 comments:
Really thoughtful, interesting post Chris. I can relate to so much of what you said.
i've never worried too much about the number of comments i get .... i'm always a little surprised on the occassional posts that get a lot of comments .... that said, i was disappointed when i started and my family didn't keep up with my blog .... or even some of my best in real life friends ... but a little self awareness, and i realized i am doing it for ME ... i do it so that i can keep up with what art i do, my thought processes with it .....to document my journey, for me .... and if other people want to peek in, that's ok too !
SO totally right! Women should never judge themselves by how many responses their blog postings get -- what a silly idea! Of course they should only be judged by their bust sizes. And men should only be judged by how many doughnuts they can carry at the nudist camp when both hands are occupied with hot coffee mugs. Why do we worry so much about the ephemeral?
Just had to make sure you felt validated by leaving a comment.
Even when I don't actually leave a comment in print I'm always creating one in my brain.
Anonymous K
I think your art is great and I love reading your blog.. it always makes me laugh
I love these great comments! This is working really well!!
No one in my family reads me blog and I'm just as happy! ;-)
I think comments are great but it's easy to give them to much meaning. So many read without saying anything so it's not a good measurement anyway. I think the best way to know you've done something good is the feeling when you've just posted. Was it fun?
Take care!
Chris, you go girl!
Your ideas are rockin'!
And did I miss something? I thought your blog was shut down? I am HAPPY to stop in and see you writing.
xo, Monica
Post a Comment