January 14, 2009

Peace



As you probably know, even if I don't rise to every month's challenge in Michelle Ward's Street Team Crusades, I follow them and I get a lot of inspiration and information from them. And also, I like them a lot.

This month's challenge is to use a shape in any of a variety of ways, either by creating a tool, like a stamp or a stencil, or using a tool, or creating a journal page or a canvas using that shape...whatever you wish.

Tonight didn't start out as a good evening for making art. I was upset about something, I was feeling lonely, lacking hope, and generally bad about myself. It's hard to push outward when that happens. But, rather than to delay journaling until I felt better, or until I had made a stencil or carved a stamp, I decided to get started and work with my current shape of choice:

the curly-cue!

Using one of the backgrounds I shared previously, I got to work with my new pens and my stazon stamp pads, my favorite letter stamps, and some spiral stamps, which are kind of curly-cue-y. I wanted to use a spiral in the design and journal out some words in a spiral trail that seem to come naturally out of and define my 'word of the year', PEACE.

I wanted to reflect upon and journal with this word, in terms of both the political and international issues of the day, and also in terms of what I want to foster in my life, both inwardly and outwardly. I tend to be... a strong personality. It has not always served me well. This is my year of focusing on inner peace, and on a general sloowwing down.

So, when I was thinking about the page, I wanted to write out some words that, for me, help enhance and define inner peace.


I'm not sure the resulting page is very successful as art, but I do know that reflecting upon peace has been very helpful, and just what I'd wanted in a journal page. I think I can get some sleep now.


Once again, I thank Michelle for being an inspiration. She only does what she loves to do, but it makes a real difference.

And I guess that's how it is when we do what we love.



Next Up: Chris gets really angry when someone asks why she's so interested in peas all of a sudden.

22 comments:

TBM said...

What a wonderful way to focus on your word for the year, Chris! And whether you meant to or not, the curlicue is the perfect symbol for your peace, curling peace toward you when you need it or sending it out with a BOING! to the world. I shall post some curlicues of my own today, just for you.

Sharon said...

Hi Chris, beautiful page. I want to fall into journaling body first but I have been saying that for a couple of years. My friend, Lotus, calls me the acquirer, cause I go and purchase everything I am told about, but then do nothing about making art. And I share alot of all of my finds.....2009 is THE year I BEGIN BIG. Have a great art day. Sharon

michelle ward said...

there it is, the curly-cue you claimed as your shape! yay, you did it! happy to know you employed yourself even though you wanted to curl up and delay. with this page you claim your shape and your word, and hopefully it led the way out of your funk. thanks for sharing chris. {hugs}

Carrie said...

This is a studendous, splendiferous page. So there.

Anonymous said...

Make a new tool with my shape? Hmmm. How about a round cookie cutter, that's my shape, but oh, no, wait, that's already made. Oh, what a conundrum.

Julie said...

Its a lovely page and you will find that whenever you look at it you will remember your feelings and the peace that you found through doing it. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Great page, just getting PEACE out there, that's my goal...in my own small way..

x..x

oooohhh, word verification:
WARTIVE.....no no no PEACETIVE

Anonymous said...

Curly-cue! Love it....love the page...love the message...peace! Don't feel lonely...you've got me. :)

Chris said...

You guys are the best friends I've ever had without paying!!

Laura said...

This blog is a wonder. I am happy to have found you via Dispatch From LA. I have also decided on Peace as my quest for this year. I'll be back for inspiration, laughs and a nice dose of reality.

Laura said...

Hey, thank YOU for visiting me. About the journal page, you need not be jealous. I've looked around your blog and seen your "stuff". Make you jealous indeed.

Margaret Ann said...

Nice post...both the words and the art...I love the spiral shape you chose...very powerful and yet whimsical too! Peace to you...inside and out!

Anonymous said...

So glad your PEACE page, and your new shape, helped you find sleep. I know what it is to be awake in the wee hours.

Leau said...

Just regular peas? Not whirled peas? I used to have a tee shirt that said "give peas a chance"...if I find it in my sorting bonanza, I'll send it! smooches

Anonymous said...

nicely done, my dear friend! did you know that the swirl you have so deftly used, (my symbol) is also the symbol for change?
I would know this, being a therapist and all ;-))
keeep on keepin' on, love your pieceful work!
s

Rosie said...

Chris, this is a great page. I like the mellow greens (greenpeace???) and the fact that you calmed down while you were creating it... or so you say!! I love the idea of the curlicue as a peace-spring that boings around peacefully! I'll never see a spiral the same way again! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Just stopped over here via Seth's journal, and he's right...you have a fun blog!

As for "don't know if it's art"...does it need to be as long as it's serving it's purpose for you? Having *just* started what is pretty much my first journal, this is something I've been asking myself.

3rdEyeMuse said...

peace. now that's a great word for the year ... I may just have to adopt it and become a peace-sistah with you.

I like the curly-cue, too ... and think the page is quite successful as art - peace-full. :)

Ces Adorio said...

I think part of the satisfaction of creating art for me is not just the final product but the thought and emotional process involved. To me that is sometimes more important than finishing a drawing or painting. I think you did a great job and you managed to reflect on the meaning of peace which to me is one of the most basic principles especially peace of mind.

Seth said...

I think it is great that you powered through those tough feelings Chris and created this page. You chose a wonderful word and made a beautiful page.

Kim Mailhot said...

Your peace-ful page is so great ! That is definitely the best part of the crusade challenges - the fact that we take time just for ourselves, to be in the moment. I always seems to work that way for me and I too am very grateful for it !
Love the curlique too ! I use it everywhere !
May you have a peace-filled rest of the month ! Peace out, Crusader !

Cheryl Gebhart said...

I love curlicues too. And your page is successful as art because it comes from your heart and it was what you needed to be focusing on. Great job!