April 25, 2008

Things That Don't Happen


Hi. This is the icky part of me. Because I have very low tolerance for some things that most everyone else accepts is cute and fun and ultimately harmless.
So please bear with me as I rant.

On the very off chance that my reader will see what I'm talking about, here goes:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall?

I'm the first person to tell you that chick flicks are fantasy. So it's not that I am willingly misunderstanding the mind of the man or woman in love. Haven't I been in love? Yes. And haven't I been devastatingly hurt? Yes. And haven't I hurt other people for 3 minutes or so until they've moved on to someone else who's cuter? Yes.
So, I know it makes people feel good to see true love realized, mistakes corrected, human frailties redeemed.




But do we HAVE to keep seeing the same movie about people who don't exist, over and over and over again?




The same men who are careless, sloppy, crude, rude, stupid, and self-involved, are NOT the same men who are intuitive, profound, sensitive, forgiving, self-actualized, and understanding. No. They aren't. I'm a proponent of facts, evidence, or proofs, and if you can tell me that the guy in Knocked Up, the guys in Superbad, and the guy in this Sarah Marshall farce are based upon real people instead of the creatures in Alien, then I'll lighten up. But the truth is, they aren't real. But we just keep on focusing on them!



And, even if, by some hideous stroke of fate, they ARE established to be real, Who Cares?! I mean, one so-so movie about one of them is okay. But eight? A hundred?



I'm just speaking for those of us who say: bring on the continuous remakes of the same adventure plots, with special effects, big budgets, and pretty people. Stop making the same continuous movie about the fictitious man no one will ever meet, doing things anyone else would be arrested or ostracized for, rather than *gulp* loved? for.




The endless marketing of this movie is so IRRITATING to me!



On another note, I'm making this cool picture for a friend and it's all about these sea creatures who can breath among flowers!


And it looks so realistic!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! As a guy who is careless, sloppy, crude, rude, stupid, self-involved, intuitive, profound, sensitive, forgiving, self- actualized, and understanding, I resent that. Boy, you women assume that we're all just lumps, when we're as complex as onions! As Outback Blooming Onions, deep-fried and served with Greasy Dipping Sauce!

I'd go on, but I have to move along now, as I'm practicing farting the classical melody "Plaisir d'Amour" and hence must pay special attention to lunch (cabbage lends nuance to the ostinato passages, though now that I think of it, yum, an Outback Blooming Onion would probably do as well).

But, I forgive you. I'm too sensitive and understanding not to.