Okay, I sometimes think I'm getting out of hand with my art projects.
I'm as positive-minded about crafting as the next person. You know I love me the experimenting and the copying from other people without giving credit, and the sitting by the side of the road with my little card table filled with polymer clay dollhouses and tiny royal-icing people, priced reasonably. So I'm not exactly a proponent of limits.
But it's almost like I'm being egged on by people. Challenges here, contests there, decorating ideas, how to make all your own holiday gifts from frozen dinner trays. What the hell? Who's going to have the strength and fortitude to stay above this onslaught? Apparently, not me.
One of my favorite sites, Craftstylish, already has me etching candy tins, weaving ribbon jewelry, making medieval castles out of Ikea jute waste baskets and skewers. You know, the usual. But NOW, they have a challenge on there...it's called a Flower Power challenge. Well. I'm a girl of the 60's. I mean, except for the track marks. And you know I'm going to be all up in something called the Flower Power Challenge.
So, to make a short story long, tonight I spent 4 hours making a flower out of pipe cleaners. And it wasn't even as big as, say, my head. It was just a regular-sized flower. Four hours. Oh, and $3,742.00 worth of chenille stems.
Someone has to reason with me.
It would be one thing if I were dedicating all my attention to pipe cleaner art. But, there are obviously no boundaries with me. Right now, I am making memory boxes shaped like houses, Halloween foamboard dolls, pumpkin circus-people, an altered birdhouse, polymer clay charms, a tryptich of painted canvases, and a scale replica of Monticello out of throat lozenges. And, tomorrow, when someone challenges me to make a functioning BMW key out of the peeled wrapper from a tube of Pillsbury orange cinnamon rolls, I'll go get a tube and get started on it.

I'll post a blurry picture of my pipe-cleaner flower tomorrow, when the light's better and I can have someone else work the camera. For now, I have to go read an email sent to me personally by Barack Obama. And if HE's not too busy to write to me, I can at least take a break from tearing black cat silhouettes out of Dr. Sholl's Insoles to answer his email.
I just hope he hasn't attached a tutorial.
Next Up: People Magazine: "Martha Stewart calls Chris 'Sort of Obsessive, don't you think?'"

2 comments:
I laughed and I laughed..
Yes what have we become? Pipe cleaner stems? Now that sounds just a bit too messed up to me. Glad the back is better...now if the DOG was making pipe cleaner flowers..that would be something. You obviously have waaay too much time on your hands.
this is why we can't be friends.
you're funnier than me.
Post a Comment