
Scout with commemorative squirrel 
But how can they? Look at these little piggies!! They're so darn cute!
We went on a train ride during a plantation tour. While the train was parked, so the kids could get off and feed the wild boar, a couple of the piggies decided it was time to get amorous, right there in front of everybody. (Those boar are Wild, I tell you!) The gentleman in the plaid shirt, here, saw what was happening, looked at the guests and their children, then looked up at me and shrugged. What are you gonna do? Like the screaming roosters, there are things in Kauai you apparently have to put up with.
Later on the same tour, we took a 'nature walk' through the plantation, to see the wild ginger, the wild mushrooms, and the vicious banyan tree, which lives off other trees and kills them by wrapping itself around the host tree until it dies. Here's a murder in progress:
While I was looking up at this, I almost stepped on a poisonous toad. Our guide picked it up and showed it to us. He said that, not only does it release poisonous venom when threatened, it can carry a small car in its mouth.
And it looks so friendly. That's how it gets you.
After the walk through the wild ginger plants, I noticed that I'd missed a spot with the bug spray.

To think: just two bites from a gruesome death, and our walk was over.
As beautiful as the plantation ride and nature walk had been, I admit I was relieved to be done with the organized activity, and back to discovering Kauai on our own. We drove up Waimea Canyon Drive, and, as is our wont, decided to get out at one of the trail heads. We were walking a bit, when I saw this sign. Actually, it's more of a 'collection of signs', since there's apparently a shortage of poles.
Because Blogger won't let this picture expand, I'll tell you what it says:
"Hunting season is now open on weekends and holidays.
Non-hunters are advised to wear bright-colored clothing and stay on established trails."
Since I was wearing my demure peach silk gown with sneakers, and walking outside established trails, I decided to get back in the car and drive away.
I had started riding with the windows rolled up.
By the way, Kauai has quite a few quaint little cemeteries at the sides of the road. With little fanfare, you may just glance out the window, and there's another one.
Did someone recently tell me that helicopter transport is a relatively safe way to travel? And I laughed?
18 comments:
Very interesting facts about Kauai here. Despite the nonstop cockledooing roosters, the frisky boars, the murderous trees, the poisonous toads, the ITCHY mosquito bites, tyou have remained upbeat and positive! That's a great attitude! :)
I'm laughing at susanna's comment, she summed it up pretty well!
This is all a side of Kauai that I've not heard of before...so much more to enjoy than lush jungles and pristine beaches!
man o man
you have to love a posting
that includes
---> a poisonous toad.
:-)
{{ i would not kiss it
if
i were you...
i am just saying }}
Now I REALLY want to go visit Kauai ...
... (with earplugs, blinders & lots of garlic - bugs don't like garlic, right?)
Wow. What a journey you're taking us on here Missy! I'm suddenly all itchy. I love the boars and the poisonous toad, but I'm thinking those roosters would get on my nerves.
Dear Chris,
You are a funny girl and yes can't add a word about your adventure to Susanna's!!
Now, about your side "Coffee Bar".
I'll have one of what you've ordered please!!
xox
Constance
ps
I'm about to embark upon
an experiment since
I am now back in the land of mosquitos & they adore me too. I've recently heard they abhor rosemary....so I'm about to slater meself in eau de rosemary for the next 4 months. I'll let you know how it goes!
i can always count on you to make me smile.
sometimes i laughoutloud.
thanks
Roosters crow all times of the day everywhere. Don't you remember the house next door in Tujunga?
Anonymous K
who needs to go to kauai w/such a glowing travelogue??
LOL
s
A friend from Kauai visited me here, in a far-flung suburb of LA. She said the traffic noise, which I only hear as a kind of background surf sound, kept her awake at night. I felt badly about that until I visited her and experienced the neighborhood dogs baying en masse and hourly through the night, the roosters starting up before dawn and going on all day, the shrieking flocks of parrots in the tree just outside the window, and and and. By the time I got back here I think I could have slept under the 405 freeway in perfect comfort.
"Paradise," apparently, is a very individual concept.
Oh jeez, this is a fun tour. I gotta say, those legs look better than mine when we go camping. My bites get angry red and swell up and I have to take benadryl. I'm just pathetic. Did you see the Nene bird? I think they are cute.
Confused roosters, that's just sad. It's like nobody wants to tell them, hey, stupid, you're only supposed to do that when the sun comes up. Like they're someone's dumb uncle. Or my neighbor, who, upon arriving home, saw another neighbor in another yard waiting respectfully for his dog to do his business, and stopped and pointed, yelling out in what he thought was a friendly neighborly (not drunk and offensive) way, "Hey, take a picture!" Of the dog crapping, he meant. What an idiot. I think his brain is the size of a shriveled pea.
Thanks! You just saved me a lot of $$$! I've never been to Kauai and now I'm not so sure I've missed anything. I think I'll mark this one off my "to do" list.
MA's class rocks!! You can copy off me any time but I'm sure you won't need to.
So good to have you back! And to see Hawaii as only your eyes can see it!
What a fascinating post about such a fascinating place. Wild, alright! Thanks too Chris for making my post your latest favorite!
Great travelogue..people always fuss over the poisonous spiders and snakes in Aussie land...but toads..ugh
I think that your picture issue might have something to do with either a setting you've changed and maybe didn't mean to, OR your template. My blog allows for photos to be clicked on, and to expand... I use blogger.
OUCH on those legs!! Holy COW.
Oh Chris, thanks for the tour and the laugh. What a bright spot you are! I always enjoy reading about your adventures.
Post a Comment