May 7, 2009

Framing Comparisons

It's a mild, quiet evening after the second of several very hot days we're having in Southern California, and I'm sitting here with the windows open. I just found out that the question of how to frame my friend Quince's birthday gift has been rendered moot, because I've decided to send the canvases to her tomorrow morning, and I haven't succeeded in framing them yet. Tonight I learned that she could use some cheering up, and I want to send them out to her now.

Isn't making something yourself, whether it's functional or ornamental, with a particular person in mind, a great feeling? I love it. It doesn't even have to be perfect. It's heartfelt, and that's what matters.

Anyway, after promising to myself that I'd quit being a big baby, and share more of my painting and the stages of my work, I will again post a photo of the canvases, now that they've had some color added to them, and some gloss medium layered over them.



And here is the framework I've been dealing with for a couple of days, to try to unite them.




I kept trying to make it work. But now I can only say that it looks to me like a cut-out for cabling at the back of a console. I was about to start over on it, but I was glad to have a good reason not to.

It began as an idea. Then it became two pieces of foam core glued together, with collaging, then stenciling, then duct tape. I was just about to put a Caesar salad on it and some shaved Parmesan, and put it in the fridge, but then I thought, hold on, Cupcake.

(Sometimes at a moment of revelation, I call myself Cupcake. A bit of trivia.)

I said, 'Hold on, Cupcake." You might just be able to use this sturdy little thing for something else some day. What if, for example, you find yourself with an over-abundance of 3 year olds and some lunch sack puppets? At just such a time, this thing would come in handy.

Now, here are some frames I find appealing. Even, dare I say, alluring.

I said to my friend, Jeanette, 'Cupcake,' I said, 'We need you to mosaic two frames for the Kauai pictures we want to put on the mantle. Would you mind? And would you buy the frames and bring them over and use your own tiles because we don't have any?'

Naturally, after that kind of offer, she did. And I absolutely love them. I love them!



But there is no reason at all for me to compare my frame-making skills with Jeanette's. I mean, making mosaics, and foam core construction, are two different disciplines, and they must be treated with the respect they each deserve. I learned that foam core was the first choice as plans were being laid for the Taj Mahal. The only reason they didn't use it was because they didn't know what foam core was, so they had to fall back on mosaics. That's a little known fact, but I think I can support it. If I ever want to, I can try to support it. And it only goes to show you that we can't jump to making comparisons. Every moment, every creation, is unique and worthy.


Anyway, before I continue working on my puppet stage, I want to leave you with this picture of our prickly-pear cactus, which are blooming now. Yay! I love these babies! One of the blooms is clearly prettier than the other one, sure.
But I love them!





Next up: Chris spends the weekend comparing Wetzel's and Auntie Anne's Cinnamon/Sugar pretzels.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhm... not sure where you are going with that..but it IS my fourth champagne... so.....

Anonymous said...

Jeanett's frames are great.
Can't wait to see them. Hopefully
people will remember to look at the picture they are framing and not just sit in stunned awe of the frame. I think you made the right decision to leave the other items unframed. Sometimes less is more.

Anonymous K

3rdEyeMuse said...

I like the gloss to finish the trip ... why do they need frames?

love the frames cupcake Jeanette tiled - very pretty.

... and which is the prettier bloom? did I miss something?

Lost Aussie said...

Your canvases are pretty spiffy, your friend will be delighted with them for sure.

Seth said...

Framed or not...these canvases will be happily welcomed by your friend!

Anonymous said...

Those frames by Miss Jeanette are killer. Will you actually be able to part with them? What strength of character you have! If I had those puppies I'm sure I'd be wearing them somehow. Square mosaic halos? Anti-pasties? Oh no wait, that's an Italian salad. Never mind.

Kitty said...

Oh, I am loving those frames! Aren't they beautiful? x

Margaret Ann said...

OOOOh MY! Might your cactus be a night blooming cereus ...not a prickly pear? Just a friendly desert question from Arizona...we have one just like it...It blooms only at night...does yours??? You are so right...the blooms are stunning! :) I love it as your page banner! :)

PS...I am still awaiting you snail mail addy to send you an "Desert Mirage" ATC! Don't forget! JUst send it to me via email...LOL :)

TBM said...

Love your canvases! I am certain they will cheer your friend right you. You are so thoughtful.

And I wondered about the beautiful flower in your header! Now I know. Prickly pear!!

Anonymous said...

so funny...always a hoot and a story here...

the new banner pic of the blooming cactus...love it!