May 3, 2009

Second Stage: Birdies

Hey, my peeps!

In the interest of sharing the stages of the triptych I posted about here, I'm sharing the final canvases.
EDIT: actually, I think I may do a bit more to them before framing...



Thanks to everyone for your kind comments about this project and my red and black canvas. I'm working on the framework for the triptych, and when everything's done, I'm shipping it off to Quince, my northern California friend, as a present for her birthday. Don't tell her!!

And, just to prove that I really AM working on my Disintegration Bundle, documented on an earlier post, here are some photos from May 1, when I ran out and cut that puppy off my car. The banner above shows what the bundle looked like May 1. Basically, it looks like only the faded mulberry paper went through any kind of change.



I had to open the back and clip the wire holding it to the inside of the hatch.



And here's the back of the bundle, which doesn't look much affected by the three rain storms, the two nights of high winds, one of which cut our power for a few hours, or the days of record heat for March and April.

I'm eager to find out what it looks like inside that bundle. Something's definitely going to happen to it now.


Next up: Chris decides to tie everything she makes to the back of her car, and discovers that chocolate cupcakes don't really hold up well.

16 comments:

Mary Ann said...

those little collages are fabulous. no not fabulous, they are STUNNING. no not stunning, in-f$#@!@ing-credible. you heard it here first.

Anonymous said...

You freaking rock..I love how you tied your bundle to your car!!

Nette said...

Wait, don't I get any credit for being your motivational craft coach for the birdy project? Admit it, if not for my nagging, you'd still be collecting (and rejecting) your supplies. And dithering in that charmingly dithering way of yours.

Now, get out there and build a cathedral! "Full heart/clear eyes/can't lose!" -- Coach Taylor, Friday Night Lights

pam@gingerbreadsnowflakes.com said...

Bird collage - I agree with Mary Ann!

Love it!

Chris said...

Dear Nette;

Please desist from further stalking, or you will be hearing from my solicitors.

Sincerely,
Tyra

nancy neva gagliano said...

OKAY!!!! over the top with bundles tied to cars!! what next? just may do this, during the michigan winter here!!
have fun on the run
in that art mobile

Anonymous said...

You are hysterical! seriously!

Did they go back and forth with the windshield wipers?

Just wonderin'

triptych is looking good too...

rivergardenstudio said...

The three paintings in your tripych are beautiful... and your disintegration project must be so tired after all those road trips! Roxanne

Susan Tuttle said...

your friend Quince (cool name) is very lucky -- wonderful birdie pieces!:)

fun disintegration!

TBM said...

Did you have anyone stop you and ask about your bundle? And I am amazed how well it held up!

Love your birdies! Lucky friend :-)

3rdEyeMuse said...

the triptych has completely transformed! they did turn out beautifully - well done. :)

Ginny Gaskill said...

Can't hardly believe this stayed on the car for all that time.

lynne h said...

chris, is it just me or are these the first canvases i've seen here? if so, you should begin creating more ASAP!! they're stunning!!!

xo

Lady P said...

What! the cupcakes didn't last - did you at least get to run your finger through a stray remnant of frosting as you bid them adeiu?
The bird project is really lovely - and I love the bundle left out to the elements. I have seen this on a couple of other blogs - hmmmmm...maybe...

Anonymous said...

I'll be happier (and I know my happiness is your only concern) when you move on to a new 'header' photo. That "bundle on the back of the car" looks disturbingly like some kind of medical waste. Though I do suppose it kept people from tailgating you.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

What a beautiful cactus flower greeted me as I went to your blog page and the fact that you put your bundle on your car is truly amazing. I drive a 12 year old Geo that is held together with bits of this and that so if I put my work on my little car I am almost certain that it would have pulled the bumper off. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart