May 22, 2009

Physician, Craft Thyself

It's occurred to me that I've never mentioned the reason for the title of this blog. Well, reason isn't really the correct word for it. Excuse, maybe.

Basically, just prior to starting my blog, I had read a bit about The Chisholm Trail, and found it intriguing. Now, I'm not from Texas or Kansas, but I am from Missouri. And I'm not a particular fan of the Western. But the knowledge that The Chisholm Trail had figured in the lives of so many legends, including Annie Oakley and the Sundance Kid, just fascinated me. So, with that in the forefront of my imagination, I came up with a name for my own budding artistic path. I still aspire to create an original painting as an appropriate banner for this little blog, but for now, the desert bloom will have to do, among other images.


An odd thing happened to me this week, when I went in for my routine visit with


***Toni, Ob/Gyn Extraordinaire***


(I don't know how she can be so humble about the whole thing.)


I was lying there on the exam table, wondering what her mad rush was about, when I started playing with the little, crafty-looking mobile hanging down from the ceiling above me, to distract patients from the real reason they were there (which is not to play with birdie mobiles). It was so CUTE! It was 5 little birdies flying, with yellow wooden bodies and hammered metal wings. They flitted about as I tapped them, and at one point I said, "These are so cute! Did you make them?" Of course, I didn't really think she made them, I mean, she seemed to have her hands full with babies and their cords, etc, as well as being at least a dozen years younger than I am, with two small children. How would the idea of making art ever enter her thoughts? She's a left-brain person, after all! All the math and science?! eep!

Whereupon, she laughed and said, "Oh no! I have my crafty moments, but I didn't make that!"

Bing! I stopped what I was doing and looked down at her. "What do you mean, you have 'crafty moments'?"

She whipped off her gloves and picked up my chart and, in a very nonchalant, matter of fact way, she said, "Oh I don't work with metal, I just quilt and make cards and knit. You know."

'You know?' No, umbilical woman, I didn't know! I admit, I was surprised. I mean, this was my doctor! I was so astonished that I almost forgot that I was still feeling a bit drafty.

We interrupt this consciousness-raising with an ATC:



So, I sat up, and said, "Are you kidding?!" It was as if I'd just been given an extra 40% off my entire purchase. "I had no idea."

She looked up at me and smiled indulgently. It occurred to me she might actually reach out and pat me gently on the head. But she only said, "Oh, yeah, I have supplies all over the house. Right now I'm working on a table runner. The girls like to help sometimes but they lose interest after awhile."

Well, after I got over the impulse to ask for her autograph, we talked for a few minutes about our work spaces, the satisfaction that comes from hand-crafting, and how meditative the process is.

Then she confirmed to me that I am, indeed, in menopause, and she walked out.

We end with another ATC:

14 comments:

girlgonethreadwild said...

I feel like I just took a ride on the crazy train,

and I didn't even want to get off!

*laughs*

Cerealously, that has to be one of the strangest, but intriguing conversations I've read about in a long time. What a SURPRISE to find your doc has a little something extra stashed up her sleeve...

xo, monica ;)

rivergardenstudio said...

What a wonderful story... I saved your blog from yesterday so I could look at it again today... and now I find your new post... Roxanne

3rdEyeMuse said...

Don't you just love happy little surprises like that? (the crafty physician & not the pausel portion).

am diggin those ATC's quite a lot.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I hope you checked everything out real carefully when you got home. Yes, a crafting doctor is a good thing, but you don't really know what she was doing down there with the glue gun and the rhinestones while you were playing with the birdie mobile.

Margaret Ann said...

The story is hilarioius...your ATC'S FANTASTIC...any open for trade???...I will be posting some new ones next week...Let me know...:)

Seth said...

Inspiration can come from the strangest places at unexpected times, eh? Great ATCs.

Leslie said...

You just never know who has a little craftiness up their sleeve. Very cool about your doctor though.

Loving the ATCs and the explanation behind your blog name.

Carrie said...

You are the only person I know who could pull this off--writing about a conversation during an OB/GYN exam. You are such a fabulous writer, and this is soo funny! Once you get some stuff into your Artfire store, you should alert her so she can see your fab work.

Anonymous said...

love the ATC's, love the idea that just another Steve thought she might have done some bedazzling while she was down there. Left me a little jealous all my gyno offers is a heated toilet seat.

Anonymous K

a fanciful twist said...

Hahahahhaahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Oh you are sooooo funny!!

I need coffeee, and i need to tell my Mom your story!!

Can I be going through menopause too?? I feel like it ;)

tee heee xoxo

Anonymous said...

Glitter-Chris,

I think there's a poem in this. You made me laugh so much, brought on another hot flash.

- MBW

pam@gingerbreadsnowflakes.com said...

Well finally! An explanation for "Prism Trail"! Whatever the inspiration, it is a great blog name.

Loved the story about the crafty doc! I had a very similar experience with mine - she was wearing a lovely bead necklace and from there the stories match - EXCEPT the menopause part! I did THAT a long time ago! Too much fun! You'll just love it!