I was met with a strange awareness today.
I'm not really a political animal, but I do care about the forces that come into play upon our lives, and in this country, they are oppressive. And thus, they require a certain amount of confrontation and sometimes even challenge.
Accordingly, there are often kneejerk reactions against divergent opinions, from those who don't really have the energy, time, or ability to reconsider their comfy assumptions. And I include myself as one of those who doesn't really relish a challenge to her comfort zone and established beliefs. So, I'm not casting aspersions.
But I realize that sometimes, when one lets her opinions be known, and when they diverge from the prevailing paradigm, she has to accept a certain amount of caterwauling from other camps. So, when I selected my 'casual Friday' attire this morning, I took this into consideration. I probably won't vote for this candidate, but I got a teeshirt from his campaign because I wanted to offer some sense of appreciation for what he is trying to do. I'm contributing funds to someone else's campaign, however, because I believe that person has a real chance of victory and I believe in that person's goals. But, I decided to wear the teeshirt I'd purchased from the other candidate, and I figured I'd let the chips fall where they may.
The oddest thing happened. It's the end of the day now, I've changed my clothes for the evening and I'm watching a documentary on The Burning Man phenomenon, and waiting for dinner to be ready. And I am reflecting upon the fact that it's really difficult to accurately predict what people in my daily sphere will do or say. It's actually a refreshing realization. As a rule, I don't like predictability, and I love it that nothing is really a given where people are concerned.
I guess to get to the point, I'd have to say, I've never really heard, in the course of an average day, quite so much giggling.
No comments:
Post a Comment