January 18, 2008

Treading Bookmarks


A week. A week between posts. What does this mean? Bad blogger!! Bad! Here's a cookie!

Yesterday, I was 'organizing my favorites' on the browser. You know how you have favorite sites and you bookmark them so you can find them easily? I had over a hundred favorites bookmarked! Even after I organized them into folders, I had a dozen folders!

This is not a surprise to those who know that I have had 163 movies on my Netflix queue at one time. But eventually, I realized that I flixed more movies than I could watch in my lifetime. If I retired now, I wouldn't be able to watch that many movies unless I didn't sleep or leave the house. So, I finally cut the Netflix queue down to under 100, and I'm still cutting. You can imagine how difficult it can be to sort through so much accumulated junk (which explains the condition of my house). So, I knew I had to do it in stages.

Same with my browser favorites. Yesterday, I decided to start cutting sites down. I started with such a naive sense of hope and the anticipation of order and cleanliness. I couldn't wait to see the whole list on one screen again.

HOLY URL! That list was bigger than both of me! I couldn't even recognize the names of some of the sites, and neither could I! So, I had to click on each one, bring it up, and decide... Do I really want a site written completely in Norwegian? About peak oil?

delete, delete, delete. It was oddly satisfying. I spent a half hour deleting favorite sites, and then I looked at my list. It looked exactly the same to me! It was still too long to fit on one screen!

I dedicated myself with greater ferocity to slashing sites. But every site I brought up now was an artist's or crafter's blog. I'd look at one, and it was wonderful! I couldn't slash that one. I'd look at the next, it was beautiful! That was a keeper! I went through the whole remaining list, and I couldn't get rid of a single site. So, I'm sitting here with 70 artist's blogs in my favorites list. Seventy! If I retired, never left the house, never slept, never flixed anything, never deeved anything on TV, and never took a shower, I might be able to keep up. But still, I must hold on to these sites! I can't memorize them all! There are new things there all the time! New things to see! A new realization has hit me: I wish I could quit you.

Seriously. you people gotta find something else to do; the stress is gonna do me in.

3 comments:

michelle ward said...

Organizing is good. But painful. But better in the end. I can't even think about how many favorites I have, and how many categories....This one time, at band camp, (oh wait, that was from a movie, I'm not onto that subject yet). SO this one time, by accident, I must have hit a button or key that suddenly alphabetized my favorites. Yikes. I was so used to my unordered list that having them in ABC order really freaked me out and I didn't even blog hop for about a week. Then I had the shakes and dealt with it.

Anonymous said...

Sweetie Pie, Honey Bunch, Pooky Puss,

all those crafty URLs you wanna keep, why knot just use your Blog(s) to contain them? And besides giving us something to do when you miss a day or week, you too can get to them no matter whose 'puter you happen to borrow.

Please keep on blogging. I can't quit you either.

Bottoms up!

Chris said...

MBW, what a good idea!
I mean, calling me all those cute names!