December 6, 2008

Gratitude

You know what I love?



I mean, besides my mom, and my friends and family, and my dog, and you people, and whiskers on kittens, and camping, and The Office, and documentaries, and art, and good food, and fancy cocktails, and playing cards, and trivia games, and hiking, and birding?
Do you?




I forgot what I was going to say.

Oh, yeah. You know what I love? I love it when you go outside in the early morning, when it's still dark, and the stars are shining. I love that. I love it that the stars are there, even in the daylight. They're still there even when we can't see them. Don't you love that?



What's awesome, in case you don't know, is when we're at our friends' ranch out in Templeton in Central California, and we're sitting on their balcony in our loungers, and we can just gaze up at the night sky and see an array of stars, a blanket of sparkles, and we can see the band of the Milky Way wrapped around us. What's better?
Okay, one thing, sure, but other than that?



It's a good day.
Love your friends and family, love your animal companions, love the neighbors and coworkers. Imagine a life without what you have, and how much you would miss it. If you've ever lost--I mean, really lost, you know what I mean.
Love them, and forget the crap.


Next Up: Chris gets in big trouble for using other peoples' photos.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

crap. i was feeling fabulous until i came here and remembered that one day i really will lose everything and then i started existentializing the days that i have left and feeling really really really crappy.
thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do! It's to bad though that all the city lights everywhere "pollute" the environment of the sky! I love going to the mountains and stopping by the road and going outside to look up - it's amazing when no lights disturb the view of darkness and stars!

3rdEyeMuse said...

I love that you love enough to give us these pretty little gentle reminders. :)

Anonymous said...

what gorgeous shots! now, are they yours? either way...what's better than to get lost in the milky way.

Chris said...

Stephanie, I got two from the internet, some astro sites, and I got the snow shot from National Geo. pictures, which is an awesome site to get photos!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to know you take time to look at the stars. Always a reminder that we are such a tiny speck floating through the universe. Puts a different perspective on all that seems such a big deal. Thank you for the beautiful photos.

TBM said...

I have to say that moving to rural England has helped slow me down. Where I used to be an overscheduled crazy person, I am happy to report I am (mostly) a rose-smelling, star gazing, livin' in the now (ahem) kind of gal. Well, more than I used to be. I have a few days where I slip ;-)

Great post, Chris!!

Leslie said...

Well, they are cool shots even if you didn't take them, and the advice is really good.

Seth said...

Great message Chris. And I love the photos...no matter who shot them!