December 3, 2008
Pondering...
Hi there, gentle readers...
WHADDUP?!
I have been frantically (albeit, in a ladylike manner) working on a couple of things which have to get out in the mail ('out in'--good syntax). I've also been under the gun at work (figuratively speaking), and just generally too busy to be so busy.
But I thought I'd take a moment to share something that's been rattling around in my mind. Because, and I'm sure you won't be surprised at this, I'm a giver.
You know how sometimes, there's a pattern that develops among the things that keep raising your attention? Lately, that's been happening to me. Specifically, I've been noticing over the past few weeks that I'll run across a blog here and there in my surfing, in which the blog owner will say something to the effect of, 'this may not be appropriate for an art blog,' or something like, 'I hope this doesn't offend anyone.' Or, in the course of a conversation with a fellow blogger I'll hear something like, 'I hesitate to talk about that because I don't think readers would want to see that side of me' or, 'I don't want to lose readers' or, 'its not very cheery stuff for a blog.'
After hearing/reading a certain amount of these hesitancies among us art-bloggers, I started wondering where, exactly, this sort of discomfort come from. I have to admit, I censor myself quite often when writing to you. I'm probably more hesitant to offend than almost anyone. But I was surprised when I began to realize more and more, that others feel that way, too. Even people I would never suspect. I read a blog recently, by someone I consider brave and completely open, in which the author offered apologies for sharing character traits which might surprise the reader and be looked upon as negative. And I didn't see one of the mentioned traits as being particularly negative or positive. They just are what they are. Why would the author be hesitant to share them?
So, lately I've been wondering why so many of us creative, warm, open, interested, giving bloggers second-guess ourselves so much. I realize no one really welcomes others' disapproval and none of us seeks to disappoint or offend. And for some of us this virtual community is the best support we can have and something we've come to rely upon in certain ways. It's understandable that we wouldn't want to risk losing one bit of the support we sometimes need when venturing into new artistic realms, and new personal realms, as well.
But at the same time, it makes me feel sad--that we would fear other's judgments to the extent that we would hide a lot of who we are. Or that we would apologize for who we are. Do we really believe that no one shares our insecurities, our moods, our anger, our darkness? We assume everyone is joyous, but can we not also assume that our comrades are scared? Or, in fact, cranky? Or that some people may actually disagree with us? Or not share every one of our likes and dislikes? Do we really imagine that our readers are so delicate that they will abandon us if we act like a snot once in awhile? It occurred to me today that maybe I could try to have a little bit more faith in the smart people in our community which I so enjoy visiting every day. Maybe I could have a little bit more expectation of understanding.
These are some of the things that have been floating around in my head lately.
Along with all the Fabri-tac fumes.
Next up: Chris alienates Fabri-tac fans and is booted off Blogger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Hey, Chris, good post! I know I have a hard time putting things "out there", but certainly admire people who can. Nina Bagley, Boho Girl, Swirly, Notes from the Voodoo Cafe, among others. I still run my stuff through the "what if my parents read this" filter. They do read my blogs, by the way. They were the whole reason I started JaPRA, so I suppose old habits are hard to break. My art blog is for me, though, so we'll see how that goes.
And that being said, I just spilled out seven random, completely fascinating facts about myself and have now tagged you! If you'd like to play along:
http://justaplanerideaway.blogspot.com/2008/12/la-meme-chose.html
It could just be the fumes, but i doubt it... you are a brave soul and the joy of your blog is that you bare it all, including your hysterical lunacy, which is the best part!
keep it up, WE LUV YOU!!!
it is the essence of your creative sole ;-)
I sensor myself... a lot. Probably because jerk comments have been left before..and I just think that it is so much easier for jerk commenters to leave a jerk comment while they sit behind the comfort of their own computer.
Most of the disagreements came from my early days on blogger...when art blogs started to take off...not so much now...but it did change my opinion a bit.
I am breathlessly waiting for you to do something offensive. Got the popcorn made and everything.
Okay, so far no one has mentioned how cute my dog is.
Don't offend me, people!
Okay, I'd better go catch up on blogs. I haven't had time for ages.
very interesting post ....
i prefer to have my blog be an art blog .... i want it to be my artsy stuff ... i actually use my blog as a tool to keep me on track and on task ..... but .... sometimes there is nothing artsy to report ..... so i'll say, mostly to myself i suppose, well, this isn't art talk, but i'm blogging it anyway ......i don't think it is actually wrong or bad or whatever ... just not my original intent for the whole bloggy business .....
so .... i guess i'd say what you read into a blog apology, might not be the intent of the writer .... we all have our own notions, and don't necessarily read something the exact way it was written ....
that said ... i apologize sometimes when i don't post for a while ... but actually, i'm faux apologetic, cause busy is busy, and if you can't you can't ....
so it goes!
i wish you lived next door and we could sit down and chit chat about this over cookies ....
happy day to you .... e
Scout looks adorable although I worry about her smothering surrounded by all that flannel.
Anonymous K
This is a good post, I started my blog thinking I could separate my art life and my real life and it just isn't possible. What is, is and we should give each other the benefit of the doubt and live and let live. We are all in this together. thanks for sharing.
what a beautiful
thoughtful
and loving post
we are
who we are
and
that is who
makes the art
after all...
xox - eb.
Just your dog's name -- Scout -- is adorable. I'm going to work on sneaking up on my Scout to get some current pictures, but she's pretty clever (and shy) that way.
Last January I posted something about my addicted son, and I was afraid it might be too much of a stretch. I was amazed, however, at the comments the post brought out.
There is a huge, supportive community out there, and I agree with you that folks do jump right in with their support if you need it.
If you feel like being snotty, I'm sure we will all forgive you. And I'm sitting next to Steve and his popcorn.
Excellent post, Chris. thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Post a Comment