At first, I was going to Tweet this story, but then I realized it would have taken 47 separate messages. So, I'm sharing it here. It's a story which must be told, simply because I don't have anything else happening in my life, and I'm very lonely.
I used my fingers and hands to apply gel medium to a project I can't share with you right now. You know how it is--sometimes you just have to switch from brush application to direct hand-to-surface application. Because, the project is just too big! There's too MUCH!! You have no choice but to take your gel medium into your own hands!
After a few hours of such activity, and having pressed pages between waxed paper and put them under something heavy, and then when Scout wouldn't stay there, putting them under a big book, I went to the sink to clean the gel medium off my hands, and...
well, you know the story. That stuff is good. It's not going to just slough off under normal soap and water treatment. It's STUCK. That is its whole PURPOSE. To STICK to something until the apocalypse. (which is always just around the corner)
So I said to myself, screw it, I'm going to bed.
This morning I woke up and couldn't feel anything. I thought it was one of those weird phantom limb things I've heard about, and I tried to recall having had a tragic sliced-cheese-wrapper-opening incident, or something to do with solder. But then I realized that my fingers and palms were coated with this relentless acrylic stuff. Sure, my hands would now resist wrinkling and tears, have a water-resistant surface, and provide a fingerprint-free method for the commission of a multitude of crimes. However, I have to get up and move around! I HAVE TO WORK for a living!
I staggered to the bathroom, and after the ice cleared from the pipes, I took a long, hot shower. And let this be a tip to you! If you take a long enough shower, besides looking like bubble wrap, you can actually rub that lovely medium off your hands and fingers and be tactile again! I tell you, it was fabulous. I'm sure this is only one of numerous ways to unmedium yourself, but I'm very naive. And I felt like I'd made an earth-shattering discovery which could bring peace to the planet. After having previously spent hours peeling acrylic from the tiny crevices of my finger joints and the crooks of my thumbs, this rubbing glue off my hands under hot water was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever.... well, experienced.
I'm thinking that when I start my next project, I can try using even MORE body parts to apply the medium! For example, how about using the feet? How about a hip once in awhile? How about we collage that canvas from both sides!!?
Something's wrong with me.
Next Up: Chris never leaves the house.
11 comments:
You are so funny! I'm good at doing things just like that & I never leave the house ... unless made to. Thanks for always making me laugh or smile : )
LOL!
This will be very helpful if I ever glue myself into a corner or something... or not. Maybe I'm stuck already, and that's why my life is not moving forward as I want to? Hmm.... I need a shower and/or something else.
Thanks for sharing!
Well, I have had the awkward time or 2 when my clothing has become adhered to my body and have had the nasty stuff in my hair, so this a good tip to keep in mind. Why do we feel it necessary to become one with our art? Thanks for sharing that valuable tip so early in the morning! smooches
epoxy....with mosaic garden art was my big mistake. the only thing i had on my side was time... it did eventually wear off.
i really like the bookmarks you created with both the napkins and the acrylic on one side. good work!
happy holidays to you chris!!!
PS: There is a little "somethin' somethin" for you over on my blog! smooches
um, I'm really hoping that the hot water washes it way away, or at least as far away as your neighbors pipes and nothing backs up into yours. Or, maybe that slow leak in your pipes is now suddenly, and miraculously fixed (no more plumber's butt!)
Hi Chris,
Sheesh -- what an ordeal! Something I've been meaning to try is a barrier cream available at dickblick.com. I'm not sure if you have read the label of your gel medium -- the medium and heavy bodied ones have warnings regarding cancer. I don't think soft gel does. Just thought I would pass it on.
So glad the hot shower took care of things.
Happy New Year!
Susan
xo
Ow! You're scaring me! stop it! But I've done the same thing, just with other glues that I knew you weren't supposed to have on your flesh. But did I heed their warning? Noooooo. However, I refuse to ever use E6000 again. I mean, you try to wear latex (or latex-free) gloves, but the fingers just stick together and it's impossible. Ah, the hardships of art. The suffering. The fumes. The flesh.
still snorting! been there, done that (different stuff - and sometimes with temporary-skin-color-changing outcomes) ... and will likely be caught doing it again and again and again. lol :)
So glad you survived the now infamous "acrylic incident" of 2008!
Oh my gosh (gasp)--hahaha!!!! You are too much!!
I am glad your story had a happy ending. When I first started using that stuff years ago and got any of it on my skin, it made me feel weird--kind of numb in my lips. I've been careful to wear gloves (not so easy) if I'm going to use a lot of it, or at least wash my hands immediately.
Post a Comment