December 2, 2008

A Day of Sharing Song

L.K. Ludwig has opened another day of sharing. You may remember her Day of Sharing Words.
My contribution on that day is here.

Wednesday, December 3, is the date she's selected for her A Day of Sharing Song. Please post your own contribution on your blog, and then ask her to add you to her list of participants. I'd like to read more about the songs you find moving and significant.

This song was written by the folk singer Ferron in 1980.



Unfortunately, I could not find the acoustic version from the album, but my friend at Just A Plane Ride Away helped me by finding this! The version I wore out on the album was just Ferron and her guitar. I was lucky enough to see her perform it a few times.

I first heard it during a pivotal moment in my life. It is a song I've carried with me over half of my life, and it's kept me company, like a dear friend. At times it has lifted me up; it has consoled me. In times of joy it has reflected my happiness and gratitude. I've sung it alone and with others, I've played it on my guitar, I've held it in my heart when other words wouldn't come. Sometimes a song can be a touchstone. This song is that for me.

Thank you, L.K., for another opportunity for us to connect!


Misty Mountain

Up the misty mountain
Wild flowers bind the ground
Down by the rushing river
Force will wear those boulders down
Me I'm underneath my covers
Me I'm trapped inside my brain
While up above the misty mountain
Up above the rushing river
Up above the bed of longing
The eagle takes the wind
The eagle takes the wind my friend
The eagle takes the wind
It makes me think of this my friend
Where does the eagle live in me?

O I am crawling through this city
I say the city will be my home
I say Ferron you are halfway pretty
And may you never be alone
Be it scorn or be it favour
Be it but a moment gone
But I stood before the mirror
Like an open-ended cavern
Like a breath held inhaled, holding,
And I barely knew my name
I barely knew my name my friend
I barely knew my name
It makes me think of this my friend
Where do I live in me?

O it's a planet of resistance
It's a whirling flame of choice
Are you my comrades in persistence
I swear they'll know us by our voice
Though we lay down in dusty corners
We are ragged as a scar
And when we rest our eyes stay open
We are always off to war
We're always off to war my friend
We're always off to war
And it makes my think of this my friend
Where can the quiet be?
O is it up the misty mountain
Where wild flowers bind the ground
Is it down by the rushing river
Where force wears those boulders down
Is it underneath my covers
Is it trapped inside my brain
Is it up above the misty mountain
Is it up above the rushing river
Is it up above the bed of longing
Where the eagle takes the wind?

4 comments:

TBM said...

Is this it?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ferron is an old favorite that I haven't thought about in so long. And this song was especially important. Thanks.

Susan Tuttle said...

What a great song! I had never heard this one before. i enjoyed reading the lyrics.

Susan

Mary said...

Chris,
Thanks for sharing this song. What great lyrics! The eagle was my late husband's emblem, so anything having to do with eagles always makes me think of him. But this song and Ferron remind me of the eagle that's within me, too. I can see why you cherish it.