December 14, 2008


We went to the Disney Concert Hall Saturday for a Holiday Celebration by the Master Chorale. I like the architect, Frank Gehry, so I was really excited to see the place. I loved the tree at the foot of the main bank of escalators.



Once we had a drink and then got to our seats, I got in trouble for taking these photos:




Apparently, photography isn't permitted inside. Even poor photography. I was told to put my camera away, and I said, "But I need to take a lot of photos so that I can steal these design ideas and build my own concert hall in my town and make lots of money that otherwise the Disney Concert Hall would make!"

I think I really had him stumped, because he stood there for a few seconds. But then he took a move toward me and I really thought he might abscond with my camera. So I quickly stuffed it into my clutch. He's not getting that camera. It has work to do.

For example, I made cookies today, and I had to take photos of them because, as you know, cookies are perishable, and you want to get a record of those babies. One of my favorite cookies to make during the holidays is Mexican wedding cakes. You know, those little round butter cookies covered with powdered sugar. I also made monster chocolate chip cookies with pecans and chocolate chips and holiday M&Ms. Here's a container of cookies we're giving to the neighbors.

and here's a typical scene left over from the making of the butter cookies.


Next up: Chris writes to Santa about this, and this!

10 comments:

ginny said...

I had the same experience at the Disney Concert Hall. I was surprised that photos couldn't be taken before the artists arrived.
Isn't the sound extraordinary?

Anonymous said...

I found the tin of Mexican Wedding cookies on my porch. How right of you to think to deliver them to a Mexican. You're so smart. I ate them all. Yep all. Wait. Those WERE from you weren't they? In the Charlie's Angels tin?

p.s. i dig the gardens atop the concert hall. did you see? i've taken jajajazillions of photos there. it's allowed!

Anonymous said...

Those little white cookies are my all time favorite....without nuts..but I call them "snowballs". Delicious.

Elizabeth said...

Those cookies look delicious and the concert hall really interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see this venue, I love Gehry's architecture!!

Your story is hilarious, I would NOT have had the guts to say that...you go!

AND I LOVE Annahata's work and all the new products they offer.

Susan Tuttle said...

What a magical evening -- that hall is stupendous -- I can imagine the acoustics were incredible!

Your Christmas treats looks scrumptious!

Thanks so much for your verbs.

... and for naming my post as a favorite.

Susan
xo

Anonymous said...

Okay... I'll take some of those yummies. lol
they look out of this world good

TBM said...

That is a beautiful concert hall! I am glad you got the photos you did so we can admire its gorgeousness. I bet the acoustics were grand.

And aren't you nice to bake all those cookies! I make "sandtarts", which are basically the same recipe as the Mexican wedding cakes. Unfortunately, the recipe I started with 1,000 years ago said I had to form the cookies into crescents, which is more work, yes? And of course, my parents prefer this shape to the snowball shape. *sigh*

Carrie said...

Oh my God, you are so funny! I can't believe you said that! But I mean, exactly, what do they think you're going to do with the pictures?! Did you notice that you're getting a lot more followers on your blog? You popular girl, you.

Anonymous said...

i made blue prints of that concert hall from your photos for you.... do you think i could sell them for cookies?

funny girl :)

i made my own mess today with powdered sugar but i did not document the event! tomorrow i will for sure...