
I bought $80. worth of art supplies yesterday. Some were for my nephews. Some were necessary. Much was luxury. I went to the car with the bags and realized I was not being very smart. I pulled out the receipt I had just been handed and took two items back into the store and returned them. Well, I started to return both of them, but one of them really was cool, so I thought about it again and decided to keep it and just return the one thing.
The clerk, who is almost always the one who helps me because I shop at the same time every visit, smiled, put through the transaction and said, 'That's okay, here's the receipt for your return, and here's another coupon for next week, which starts tomorrow.' I said, 'Oh, how cool! I'll be back tomorrow!' I went home feeling so much better. I mean, I DID return something, right?
I told my friend Jeanette about this. My point to telling Jeanette (I interrupted her watching a cable program called Intervention, which I guess is about crack addicts or something like that) was to point out how nice the clerk was! She had given me not only the coupon which printed automatically at my original purchase, but then printed another coupon after processing my return. So, now, I had two new coupons for shopping in the week ahead!
Wasn't she sweet? I said to Jeanette.
Soon afterward, I received this email from Jeanette:
"Tonight, on Intervention:
INTERIOR: a packed-to-the-roof home craft studio. In the middle is Chris, flinging items all over the place. She chucks a pile of Martha Stewart Holiday magazines at the cameraman, who ducks, causing the camera to jump.
CHRIS: WHERE IS IT? Where is my &*!@#** angle-cutter?
BLACK SCREEN: Chris is a craft addict. Craft addiction is one of the most serious problems facing middle-aged American women, quickly overtaking painkillers and meth. *Source: American Journal of Addiction.
INTERIOR: The glitter aisle at Michael's. Chris has collapsed sobbing into a heap on the floor while her worried partner hovers over her.
CHRIS: Please, I just need one more tube of the pink and silver mix. JUST! ONE! MORE.! TUBE!
BLACK SCREEN: Chris thinks she is participating in a documentary about addiction. She doesn't know she will soon be facing an intervention.
INTERIOR: back in Chris's home studio, where she has attacked the camera with a can of orange-and-gold-glitter spray paint. Through an eerie orange mist, we see her anguished face.
CHRIS: THEY WOULDN'T TAKE MY @*&!!#* COUPON!"
So.
I'm kind of wondering what she's trying to say.
17 comments:
Oh my God, that's funny. Well, I think she's trying to say that the clerk is feeding your addiction. She knows if she gives you a taste, i.e., a free coupon, you won't be able to resist coming back and paying for your fix.
But never mind that, I could never be your craft addict sponsor. Whaddya get? Huh huh?
Can I type while laughing this much??
The 12 step recovery program for craft addicts...
HA! That is hilarious! Your friend is too funny.
So what was it that you took back but will buy again next week when you use one of your coupons? ;-)
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!
Okay, so you think we are having a tea party on Saturday but guess what!!!!
Anonymous K
uh-oh...
oh yeah, you seriously have some good friends! that email was a RIOT - thanks for sharing. :)
Okay - got a button and the additional swap guidelines for the Magical Yule Swap all up! Thanks for being so patient.
i am laughing!
oh my gosh, how funny ....
stay out of my craft room!
no interventions!
you have to admit you need help before it can work ... and i refuse (like you?) to admit it!
i hope if the glitter part is true than there will be an intervention. thanks for helping us recognize, in your ever humorous way, that we all have too much....and the subliminal message to me is to USE it.
but better yet - how cool to have a kind clerk.
Hihi, had to laugh all trhu this post! thnx for the birthday wishes! xoxoxo
hello Chris,
do you know crafting addiction is contagious and véry contagious !?!
I have the same addiction too... but actually ... I like this kind of addiction...
I'm happy you like the ATC and the stamp of the raven !
I hope to see him appear in artwork of you !!!
I've seen the new crusade of Michelle this morning and yes, I'm going to participate : maybe I play with the gesso on friday and post about it in the weekend...
I hope I can combine this crusade with my just newly made stamps ( just another addiction for the moment)...
I was touched by the poem "in Flanders Fields".
It is very known here. I was born quite close to these Flanders Fields and the whole area is still wearing the scars of this war, although it is 90 years ago...
I've been there yesterday with my husband on a memorial service at a Canadian monument for the remembrance of the end of the war 90 years ago. It's always very moving when you hear the stories of men who died there and then when the pipers play...
Afterworths there was a concert with a Scottish singer and pipers... Very moving...
If you know that in this first world war 10 million people died ( 6 million soldiers and 4 million citizens...) : a terrible loss...
Maybe it wouldn't be bad if Obama visited Flanders one day... I would like to invite him !
All worldleaders should visit a place like this, just to remember it may NEVER happen again...
By putting this post on your blog, you too make people aware of the insanity of war ! So thanks !!
greetings from belgium
Inge
How funny! I love this story!! I can definitely identify and you have a great friend there! Roxanne
Now, this funny. Thanks for the laugh!
Hilarious. It looks as though you and Jeanette have a similar sense of humor.
Hey Chris, I am not letting anyone from my life read this...it might give them ideas! How funny, you really nailed it. I have given up clothing, furniture and sometimes food for supplies. I live for supplies. I must have supplies. And someday, I'll use some of them so that I can have room for new ones, right? Thanks for the laugh...
I am sitting here with my sides splitting!! and the rest of the family think I am nuts laughing at my computer! How true is that ..I deffo have a craft addiction!
Post a Comment