November 2, 2008

Dia de Bloglandia


My mother, Rosetta Marie Hand

As mentioned in my previous post, the picture above has been put in a safe place. A place I can't recall right now! But I share this photo as it is showin in a page of our family scrapbook.

Rose passed away on mother's day of 1985, at the age of 67. She would occasionally say she had premonitions of impending danger or death. As a child, she awakened abruptly one night and, in the seconds just upon awakening, saw the image of a cousin emblazoned upon her closed bedroom door. The following day, he was the victim of an accident, which killed him. She had 'a knack', she said, for sensing impending important events, although she didn't really welcome this sensitivity, and avoided drama whenever possible.

Within a few weeks of her death, my brother, traveling away from home, started to cross a street and heard my mother say something to him. He turned to see a rapidly moving car approaching him. Forewarned, he was able to jump to avoid being pinned between it and the parked car it smashed into. He has mentioned two other instances when my mother alerted him to danger, although I don't now recall the particulars. Clearly, he has inherited some of her gift.


Gladioli, one of Rose's favorite flowers

My mother loved flowers and was a floral designer in the later years of her life here. She was one of the kindest people I've ever known, with a pragmatic and dignified persona. She was independent and serious, the result of a very early marriage encouraged by her own mother, who had too many children at home to feed. Rose married early, had children early, and had to work to keep the family together because my father was often not dependable. Regardless, she was very successful, giving us a sense of safety and possibility we otherwise would not have known. My mother was a strong, yet private, woman who was athletic, loved playing cards, listening to her grown sons tell jokes, and creating beautiful things with her hands.

Rose, with two of her sons, two grandsons, and me.

I understand that one of the traditions of Day of the Dead is to eat some of the favorite foods of our loved ones. My mother loved an occasional dinner of liver and onions. Being the last (by far) of her six children, I lived with her through my teen years and found it very difficult to be in the house when she was preparing this fabulous feast for herself. So I'm hoping she will forgive me if I don't indulge in a repast of liver and onions today. However, she also loved cake and ice cream. And isn't it wonderful? I happen to have both of those things on hand!

As mentioned earlier, I prepared the background banner page above to honor her, but no rose, real or fashioned, will ever be as beautiful as she is.

In honor of treasured ones who have gone before us, may we remember and celebrate their passage here, the things they gave to us, and our good fortune to have shared some time with them and all that made them unique!

Thank you, mom. I love you!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Chris! I Love reading these stories...I suspect you're baking a cake as we speak?

Diane Gilleland said...

What a beautiful post! Your mom sounds like an amazing lady. Hope you had a lovely celebration yesterday. XOXO

julietk said...

Visiting for the Dia de Bloglandia
I love liver and onions my mother used to make it too, Next time I have some I will think of your lovely mum too.Hugs Juliet

girlgonethreadwild said...

I BELIEVE you have the hand of the angels on your shoulder...

with a full heart & mind I sit here smiling,

thanks to YOU.

Love your post!

xo, Monica

Mrs Pretzel said...

lovely!! Thanks so much for letting us in on your day to remember!

Sacred Yoli said...

Such a beautiful post. Your mother sounds like she was and is a wonderful and tender soul and it still looks like she is looking out for you and her loved ones.

lol, regarding the liver and onions, girl, I don't blame you. I used to try every year as a kid to force myself to like liver. I figured I will grow out of my distate for it, since I have grown to love other foods that repulsed me as a kid. Long story short, I still can't stand it. Have an extra piece of cake for me.

Saludos,
Yoli Manzo
(I am on my bloglandia Journey)

3rdEyeMuse said...

what a lovely tributr to your mom - she really sounds quite amazing. :)

Happy Dia de los Muertos!

Anonymous said...

You love and honor for her shine with every word. Glad you found her pic at last.. So she had the gift... and your brother too... what about you, young lady??

Kate I said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother...I'm so enjoying the stories I'm reading today. BTW, I'm with you on the liver and onions but my mother loved them too!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Chris!
On your Prism Trail, it has been a joy and honor to meet your mother Rose.
Your quote here touches me so:
In honor of treasured ones who have gone before us, may we remember and celebrate their passage here, the things they gave to us, and our good fortune to have shared some time with them and all that made them unique!

xox
Constance

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the stories of your mother. Made me laugh with the liver and onions (my mother's favorite also!) The love you shared with her shines thru your post.

me2 said...

I enjoyed the lovely story of your Mother! Enjoy that cake! My Mom used to make blood sausage, which sent me out of the house for the day...yuck!

Leau said...

You are so lucky to have had a mother like that! Thanks for sharing.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

What an incredible story and a lovely tribute to your mother! THank you so much for sharing something so personal. She sounds like she was an amazing person.

Debbie Doughty said...

I happen to like liver and onions, but I'd go for the cake and ice cream over them any day!

TBM said...

Chris, this is a wonderful post of your mother. She sounds like she was a beautiful rose, inside and out. How lovely that you inherited her creative ways. Truly a gift to cherish always.

Hope you enjoyed your cake and ice cream ;-)

'A Tuscan view.....from Umbria' said...

Don't worry I'll eat the liver and onions for you maybe with a nice glass of red wine and I'll make a toast to your mother. Thank you for this lovely post and your comments on our blog. Amanda

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

my pareants both love the liver and onions, me, i am with you, let's have cake and ice cream ;-)
i enjoy your (and mom, too) life story.
Feliz dia de los muertos!
hugs dear!!!

Yoli said...

What a lovely woman and what a sweet daughter. Great tribute.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. What a treat it is to be told a story about someone you loved. Your mom sounds like she was a strong, reliable person. It takes alot of strength and love to raise a family mostly on your own.

And what a gift she had. It's great that she listened to her inner voice rather than dismissing it.

I smiled when I read about the liver and onions dinner. My mom loves to eat that, too! What is up with that??! :)

Thank you for sharing this story about your mother, Chris.

Anonymous said...

What a great looking woman that Rose is. I don't remember ever seeing a picture of her before.
I think we may have to do a family photo album party.

Anonymous K

Anonymous said...

Hee! That picture of you as a little girl looks so much like you now. You're looking into the camera and saying, "Are ya KIDDING me? Take the shot already, I've got 12 lanyards to make and I haven't finished my popsicle house."

Anonymous said...

oh what a beautiful post! thank you for the heartwarming story of your lovely mother! i just love your dia de los muertos cards!

Laume said...

Love all the memories of your mother. I was struck by many similarities between your mom and a friend of mine who was also the youngest daughter six kids, and a long stretch between her and her next sibling.

Laume said...

P.S. Yep, I did understand it was YOU that was the youngest of six. But looking at my comment, I can see how I was confusing - I also see I left out a word or two. Oops.

Christine said...

I really enjoyed reading about your mother ~an independent classy lady. I am really intrigued by the idea that she was in tune with her sixth sense. That has always been an amazing gift to me that few people are in touch with. You have presented a lovely tribute to your Mother~thank you :)
~Christine

notmassproduced said...

this is beautiful. i can see from her face that your mum was a kind person. what a lovely tribute