
Today was productive, but, alas, not on the art front. Lots of errands, a walk with the dog, a lovely tea at The Langham with our friends Kerry and Ed, to celebrate her 20th year with Disney. After tea, I came home to paint, and instead I sat down with Handmade Nation, the wonderful book about artists and crafters and the enterprises they have begun. I'm on page 26, because I'm relishing the book, and also because I'm picking it up for only moments between other activities. This page begins the Sabrina Gschwandtner section. She's the mind and heart behind Knitknit. While I don't knit, I appreciate knitting, and perhaps one day will knit. (Right now I'm in love with the paper.) (But I've been known to be polyamorous.) (But not now, or maybe ever again.) (Where was I ?)
Sabrina says quite a few very interesting things. One being that 'During all major wars in which America has been involved, handcraft has experienced a resurgence.' Another being, 'Even though we all have frequent access to the internet and are able to communicate with people through digital media, we are still sensual beings. We need to maintain a tactile relationship to the world.'
I love both of these comments. I don't know that it's true that there is a resurgence in handcraft during every time of war for this country--I'd have to check that out. However, it makes sense. It makes sense that we would seek a return to our roots and to greater self-sufficiency. And although many of us maintain blogs and have a supportive and enriching circle of internet friends, we still need immediate and direct experience.
That's why I think all of you should come over.
Next up: Chris runs out of dip a lot earlier than expected.
6 comments:
I'll be there soon. All you had to say was 'dip'.
what time do you get off work m-f? swing by my pad one of these days and we can sit on the porch, drink martinis, breathe in the smoke, and fondle paper. how's that for direct contact. i'm home most days by 3:30
hide the handmade nation i'm stealing it next time i drop by. which could be anyday now and anytime. unexpected and unannounced.
Sounds like a good read...may just have to pick one up!
that book sounds ace..will have to google it..I am getting back to basics as I have been trying to cut up a lager can today and emboss it!! I tried knitting a scarf once..one end was about 6" and the other 3ft!! that was the end of my knitting but I am trying rug hooking on a jute bag on the school runs!!
Mmmm. Dip....
But also, mmmmm. Tea....
I think I need to put Handmade Nation on my Dear Santa list.
I love your new banner, by the way!
oh! I've heard of the book - wonder if it happens to be at the library ... will have to check.
thanks for the invite - don't be surprised if one day I try and take you up on it!
Post a Comment