November 17, 2008

A Charmed Life, Far From the Parthenon


LOOK at these lovelies! I got great mail today!



I got two sets of postcards from A Fanciful Twist, and Carrie's new zine!!

You people just keep envying me, don't you?


Edit: I have just watched Secrets of the Parthenon, while in paint and gesso up to my elbows. I rented it twice and, because of time constraints, have just watched it for the first time. I think many artists would find it fascinating. For one thing, the Parthenon is a marvel in optical illusion. It looks straight and even, but when we began to restore the Parthenon, those in the restoration project (a project which started 30 years ago) found that there are no straight lines, and there are few right angles. With modern technology, it's proven a much more difficult achievement to build the Parthenon than it was centuries ago, when it took only 8 years. The columns are curved, the angles vary, the foundation curves, and the capital which sits atop the front columns is only supportable in the precisely correct position.



Democracy, the divesting of a State's power in their people, began in Greece, and those ancient people built the Parthenon without our machinery and modern technology. It's really awesome sometimes, when we recognize what human beings can achieve, whether politically, socially, or culturally, if they intend to. If you're into architecture and art history, you might want to check out this Nova episode.

Next up: The producers of Nova refuse to send Chris her commission.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I am soooo behind with any correspondence. It's so special to receive a handwritten, handmade card in the mail, though. You have talented friends. :)

Leslie said...

Oh goodie! Real mail! I love that.

TBM said...

Yes, lucky you! Nothing like real mail to cheer up a gal :-)

lynne h said...

ooohhh, wonderful mail! useful mail!!

this about the parthenon is very interesting to me. i will check into it...

Carrie said...

Thanks for plugging my zine, pallie! Maybe some of your faithful followers will be tempted to get it, or even send me boookstore stories...C.

3rdEyeMuse said...

oooh! congrats on the mail love - yep, I'd say I'm a bit envious. all in a good way. :) thanks for the Parthenon lesson - I honestly didn't know.

rivergardenstudio said...

The parthenon...so interesting. Thanks for sharing, and I love that you were covered in paint and gesso while you watched it! Thanks for sharing

Seth said...

That is quite a collection of goodies.